Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've researched a bit on why wouldn't a tuner want to touch a car with a water/meth kit installed, and couldn't come up with much?!

Why wouldn't a tuner want to touch a car with meth kit?? I'm asking because I called a local tuner and asked them if they sold a kit, and they said Yes. Then they proceeded to tell me I needed a tune after (which I knew already) but they can't tune it, they don't touch water/meth only e85 or gas.

I didn't argue obviously that's their preference, but can someone explain maybe a fellow tuner on here as to why? Seems pretty basic for someone with tuning skills to be able to do the math to tune correctly. Or maybe I'm just an idiot???

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
Possibly because if the kit fails (or runs out) and it doesn't have the proper fail safes built in it will ruin the engine.

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
Tuning methanol with the proper fail safes, plus the cost of the methanol itself provides little benefit when E85 is an available option.

Not to mention, I'd imagine it's much easier to tune a constant fuel source as opposed to a progressive methanol system.

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
As mentioned earlier, lack of failsafes and even cylinder distribution are the two biggest reasons that one would choose E85 over methanol/alcohol injection system. E85, when readily available, is a great option, assuming you have the fuel system that can adequately supply fuel. Especially with flex-fuel options on Ecutek / Cobb AP, it isn't a big deal if your E85-availability isn't great.

That said, a shop that sells a WMI kit, calibrates ECUs, but then won't support the product they sold you is a bit shady, IMO. It's one thing to say "we don't support WMI kits, and therefore, can't sell you one" is different.

irickchad said:
Not to mention, I'd imagine it's much easier to tune a constant fuel source as opposed to a progressive methanol system.
Not really.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts