Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always hear people saying that a tune screws up your car. is it true if all i do to my 2017 wrx is a cobb accessport stage 1 without intake. I wanna buy the car (currently a lease) and i dont want anything to screw her up.
Would the car be as reliable?

·
Super Moderator
10,985 Posts
A wrong remapping will absolutely bone your car. As far as reliability, I wouldn't modify anything with a warranty. Repairs add up quickly and I'm not paying anything out of pocket I don't have to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
I always hear people saying that a tune screws up your car.

Where have you heard that? A good tune is the number one thing you can do to make the car run better, more efficiently, increase power, and improve reliability. If you have someone who doesn't know what they're doing tune the car then it could blow up before they're even done tuning it, but that could be said about pretty much anything.

The off the shelf maps from Cobb aren't near as good as a Protune, but they should still be safe to run (of course you always need to check and see how your particular car responds to the tune.. some don't deal with it as well as others). The car should be virtually as reliable as stock running a good aftermarket map with or without other reasonable modifications. Of course if the engine blows, whether it's related to the tune or not, don't expect to have it replaced under warranty.

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
MainFrame said:
If you have someone who doesn't know what they're doing tune the car then it could blow up before they're even done tuning it
Like when a tuner copies/pastes the Base Timing table into the Advance table and then does a WOT pull?

MainFrame said:
The off the shelf maps from Cobb aren't near as good as a Protune, but they should still be safe to run (of course you always need to check and see how your particular car responds to the tune.. some don't deal with it as well as others). The car should be virtually as reliable as stock running a good aftermarket map with or without other reasonable modifications. Of course if the engine blows, whether it's related to the tune or not, don't expect to have it replaced under warranty.
^ This ^

If you datalog / monitor the tune to make sure things are in line and you keep up with your maintenance, your car shouldn't have an issue with Cobb S1/S2 tune that wouldn't have happened on a stock car. The fact that there is aftermarket calibration on the car will lead to a warranty claim denial, but that's the price you pay to have a car that is faster and drives better. If you want the peace of mind to know your warranty coverage is in place, keep the car stock. If you choose to modify the car and there's a powertrain issue, well, pay to have it repaired, because you broke the contract between you and Subaru when you upped the output of the engine (they promised to cover the product with their specifications).

In regards to leasing, there may be a clause that prohibits modifications in your contract with your financial institution. Make sure you read that contract before you make any decisions.

·
Æternum
15,576 Posts
Like when a tuner copies/pastes the Base Timing table into the Advance table and then does a WOT pull?.
Did you do this?!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
155 Posts
Like when a tuner copies/pastes the Base Timing table into the Advance table and then does a WOT pull?

^ This ^

If you datalog / monitor the tune to make sure things are in line and you keep up with your maintenance, your car shouldn't have an issue with Cobb S1/S2 tune that wouldn't have happened on a stock car. The fact that there is aftermarket calibration on the car will lead to a warranty claim denial, but that's the price you pay to have a car that is faster and drives better. If you want the peace of mind to know your warranty coverage is in place, keep the car stock. If you choose to modify the car and there's a powertrain issue, well, pay to have it repaired, because you broke the contract between you and Subaru when you upped the output of the engine (they promised to cover the product with their specifications).

In regards to leasing, there may be a clause that prohibits modifications in your contract with your financial institution. Make sure you read that contract before you make any decisions.
Or, if you do have an issue under warranty you could uninstall the tune before taking it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Or, if you do have an issue under warranty you could uninstall the tune before taking it back to the dealer.
OP, do not be this guy^

·
Super Moderator
10,985 Posts
That's fraud, and it is highly illegal. Not to mention the factory scan tool can tell

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts

Sure, you could attempt to commit fraud, but it wouldn't do you any good. The warranty claim would still be denied due to what's called "previous modifications".

You could also do what one of the local guys here in Austin did with his Evo X when it started to have rod knock.. go out and set a big rock in the middle of the road, then run your car over it at speed ripping the oil pan off and claim it on insurance. Either way, I don't condone illegal acts such as these, and you'd be hard pressed to find many people here who will.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts