Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am dealing with a problem with my tumble generator (it seems) I have been looking for a good definition of it's purpose. Here's the best so far:
The tumble generators are basically block-off plates placed just upstream of the fuel injectors, which create a vortex in intake air, promoting cleaner burn and leaner air-fuel mixture during cold-start and low-speed operation. The valves, which look and operate like throttle plates missing one side, open gradually beginning at 3000 rpm to allow intake air to flow freely.
Taken from:
Sport Compact Car Web

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I believe they are there in an attempt to better mix the Air/Fuel by making the incoming air turbulent. SCC had a good def. What more do you want?

·
Registered
209 Posts
changes circulation in combustion chamber

They modify the circulation of the fuel air mix inside the combustion chamber at low rpm.

Tumble is the motion you see when a wave breaks on shore, a horizontal turbulent motion, swirl is the motion you see when you watch water drain in a sink.

The open side of the tumble generator valves that stay open all the time promote high mixture velocities at low (< 3000) rpm. Since this high velocity flow is on only one side of the intake port, when the valves open it creates a "tumble" in the mixture in the combustion chamber. This makes it easier to get good emissions and very lean burn at low rpm and low load.

At high rpm (>3000) rpm the valve opens and you get full use of the intake port for better power at high rpm.

Larry

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Penguinking took out his TGV's and said there was NO gain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts