Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all!

Hadn't gotten to drive the Rex yet so I went to the dealership in Sterling, VA today and the salesman kept talking to me so I started throwing out invoice pricing I saw on Edmunds and Truecar for around 25 and change invoice price. He said those sites are 3rd party and they're wrong -- blah blah blah. So I'm like well show me then, so he pulls up the invoice on the base model I drove and showed me its 26 and change for invoice and 534 for holdback so around 26 even for invoice minus holdback. This makes no sense to me because SOA has their base WRX MSRP at 26,695 starting on their website.

He said they do 699 for processing non-negotiable. He scrolled a bit and the font was small so I never saw base model anywhere. I'm thinking he pulled up invoice for a Premium or Limited because he said Out the Door price was a little over 28k even.

As an additional detail he said the white is the best next to silver for not showing dings or dirt. He showed me one Blue Lapas that had a lot of rain marks and a white one next to it that was perfect. I think this is more BS because I noticed they had no Red Rex and he said oh they're very rare. Really side eyeing the guy at this point.

Any advice on this? Just wanted to share my experience with everyone. BTW after driving the car, I'm hooked! It's an amazing machine :)

·
Village Idiot
2,450 Posts
That sir, is a little bit of salesman trickery right there. Invoice pricing is set by Subaru of America, I believe, and is universal across the nation. My best guess of what he showed you was the invoice for that specific WRX, which likely had a couple of factory options added. Could be things like all weather floor mats, auto dimming mirror, STI shift knob to STI short shifter

Here is the list from Autotrader: 2017 Subaru WRX - Autotrader

Base Invoice: $25,186
Premium MT Invoice: $27,309
Premium CVT Invoice: $28,410
Limited Manual Invoice: $29,154
Limited CVT Invoice: $30,255
STI MT Invoice: $33,286
STI Limited MT w/wing: $37,750
STI Limited MT w/lip spoiler: $37,750

·
Registered
2,014 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info and support!

That sir, is a little bit of salesman trickery right there. Invoice pricing is set by Subaru of America, I believe, and is universal across the nation. My best guess of what he showed you was the invoice for that specific WRX, which likely had a couple of factory options added. Could be things like all weather floor mats, auto dimming mirror, STI shift knob to STI short shifter

Here is the list from Autotrader: 2017 Subaru WRX - Autotrader

Base Invoice: $25,186
Premium MT Invoice: $27,309
Premium CVT Invoice: $28,410
Limited Manual Invoice: $29,154
Limited CVT Invoice: $30,255
STI MT Invoice: $33,286
STI Limited MT w/wing: $37,750
STI Limited MT w/lip spoiler: $37,750
@McBill, I was only entertaining his conversation for the test drive and to see how trustworthy the guy was going to be with me. The whole time the number just didn't seem right to me. Thanks for posting these!

@Goose42, that's the way I'm leaning right now. Really want to use a credit union to get better financing though. Of course we have to buy our home first at the end of the summer. Should be grabbing mine end of this year or beginning of the next.

I asked if I bought a Premium with the sports package if he would let me keep the original wheels/rims and he said this was impossible. I've seen someone on this forum do that so I question him saying this was a myth. Already lost a lot of rapport and respect for the guy.

I should have done a bit more Googling because I found what McBill posted on here and it looks to be the Official documentation from SOA. Attached to this post. Thanks again to you both!! :D

View attachment 2017_wrx_retail.pdf

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,612 Posts
Exactly as the others have said.
He is not trying to "rip you off." He is just using sales tactics to get the most for the dealership. Likewise you should negotiate a price best for you. It is a game. In the end the "out the door" price for a base model with no additional options should be on the order of the original msrp (26,695) -- but you have to negotiate to get this price. If you do not negotiate, he is just going to offer you the advertised price which is exactly what he did. I do think he had the invoice price wrong just as seen above, but in the end that does not even matter.

·
Village Idiot
2,450 Posts
I asked if I bought a Premium with the sports package if he would let me keep the original wheels/rims and he said this was impossible. I've seen someone on this forum do that so I question him saying this was a myth. Already lost a lot of rapport and respect for the guy.
The reason you can't do this is because it likely will come shipped with the sports package wheels. You aren't paying for both wheels, you are only paying for the sports package wheels.

Keep in mind with this, if you aren't planning to buy until the end of this year, 2018's will be coming out likely this summer. They made some pretty major changes to the new model year that would be worth waiting for. However, I expect price to go up a tad.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts

View attachment 281705
Actually, I am that guy... I pre-ordered MY15 before they were released in 2014, and information was on a day to day basis. I was hitting refresh constantly on google search, apparently my salesman was not. From the beginning of negotiations, I used that as part of my tactic, to keep the OEM, and when it was all said and done, I was allowed to keep them. The STI Enekis were shipped to the dealer, and installed by them. The STI exhaust and short throw shifter were port installed. Just like in the Media ad, when I took delivery, the back seats were folded down, and the OEM wheels were in there. At a later date, my salesman told me that I was the only one allowed to keep them at his Dealership, they wised up.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
....I think this is more BS because I noticed they had no Red Rex and he said oh they're very rare......
Ugh.. red :barf: he's right.. red is rare because no one wants it. I'm pretty sure red wasn't even an option the last few years of the GRs because no one wanted it..!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts