Subaru WRX Forum banner

Trying to get the turbo spool sound

17K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Pzary3233 
#1 ·
Hey there guys I currently drive a 2008 wrx which has no resonator in the stock air box.. however it's quiet as hell and i'm wondering what could be an alternative to improve the sound, i'm really trying to hear the turbo spool up sound. Now I know a CAI will be nice but since there's no real name brand CAIs out yet I have to wait.

However, I have noticed that there are flat panel air filters from name brand companies such as K&N and Fram that can fit into the 2008 wrx, does anyone know if that will improve the sound?

I'm guessing it will because there's no resonator in the airbox itself that the sound must be from a restrictive stock air filter.

i'm no car buff so please try to explain in detail what i might need to do to improve the sound (i dont care much for the performance aspect)

thanks!

-T

#4 ·
Hey guys a CAI isn't the best idea here. For a few reasons, one they may have a different inside diameter on the tubing causing your MAF reading to be wrong and your car will have the incorrect ratio or air/fuel, resulting in the engine not performing as well as it should. Also they tend to suck up water since they are low to the ground if you hit a large puddle, which could hydro lock your engine and the warranty would not cover it do to the modification to you car. Just be aware of this, do some research and consider if you want your warranty or you want to mod.

#6 ·
yea yea i understand the worries with the CAI but my main question is if i get a less restrictive air filter for my STOCK AIR BOX will that improve the sound. it's soo freakin quiet even without the radio on i can not hear that turbo one bit =P

#7 ·
The stock turbo is fairly small, with mods it'll make some nice sounds but nothing like the 900hp Supra's you see on youtube. You'll need a GT30R or better for that. :cool:

#9 · (Edited)
Sorry, but we have a difference of opinion on this one. I'd consider sucking in hot engine bay air or possibly screwing up the MAF to be messing with the car. The fender well K&N gets rid of the hot air problem but introduces possible hydro lock. None of these are good things.

#18 ·
The stock DP is very thick and muffles the sound. If you want to hear the car spool just get an aftermarket DP. As said, don't forget a Cobb AP to tune to Stage 2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.