Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I recently picked up my 2004 Impreza WRX back in November of 2020... I love the car to death, so much to where I am going to purchase a everyday driver this summer to spare it of more east coast winters (until I can move south ofc). I have looked into a lot of stuff, and I have decided that I want to build this car. But before I swap the engine I want into it, I figure I might as well do the other important things that will support this. Here is what is done so far:

BC Racing Coilovers
Custom Catback exhaust
Custom trunk (not important, just a small project of mine)
COBB Stage 1 Tune

So the car is still essentially stock, and I want to make it handle the best I can before I pump more power into it.
I really want to put an EG33 into this, and turbo that. Not anything too crazy, just enough where I can have fun, and feel more power...
I plan on swapping the brakes, calipers, and such. But I was thinking maybe some thicker sway bars? Aluminum STI Control Arms maybe?

Please also tell me what swapping the engine would consist of, regarding building it and such. I will admit I am very inexperienced, and am going to learn a lot in this process. But that's what I came here for.

Thanks for reading,
Will update in time.

Luke

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,767 Posts
Fix the suspension first. Install the correct struts and use any competent spring and damper combo. Getting rid of the coils should be a priority.

·
Super Moderator
11,607 Posts
Hey all,

I recently picked up my 2004 Impreza WRX back in November of 2020... I love the car to death, so much to where I am going to purchase a everyday driver this summer to spare it of more east coast winters (until I can move south ofc). I have looked into a lot of stuff, and I have decided that I want to build this car. But before I swap the engine I want into it, I figure I might as well do the other important things that will support this. Here is what is done so far:

BC Racing Coilovers
Custom Catback exhaust
Custom trunk (not important, just a small project of mine)
COBB Stage 1 Tune

So the car is still essentially stock, and I want to make it handle the best I can before I pump more power into it.
I really want to put an EG33 into this, and turbo that. Not anything too crazy, just enough where I can have fun, and feel more power...
I plan on swapping the brakes, calipers, and such. But I was thinking maybe some thicker sway bars? Aluminum STI Control Arms maybe?

Please also tell me what swapping the engine would consist of, regarding building it and such. I will admit I am very inexperienced, and am going to learn a lot in this process. But that's what I came here for.

Thanks for reading,
Will update in time.

Luke
I'm 99% sure you watched Mighty Car mods. I'd not turbo the H6 personally. I looked into it at the time they posted the videos a billion years ago. The consensus is don't waste the effort as it ends in heart break. Stick with the tried and true EJ, or now FA platforms if you really want to do some retrofitting.

With the age of the car anything rubber, hoses, belts, probably some of the seals and gaskets, plugs, coils, water pump, blah blah blah, need to be addressed. Above all do ALL maintenance and address any issues spotted from said maintenance barrage.

For immediate driver impact I'd do a few things. Shit can the BC racing and get a set of koni inserts and RCE yellow springs. You'll have to source factory struts to kill to put the insert in, but its going to be a million times the suspension. Second, if the calipers are not seizing find a good pad and rotor, EBC, Hawk, and many others make a street sport pad that will work tremendously well on the street and still have a higher fade resistance if you happen to hit up a day of AutoX or something, and get a good set of rotors. Drilled and slotted not necessary. Go to work on the suspension bushings and replace them with poly bushings to stiffen it up and tighten the suspension feel. This alone makes a massive difference in response and your ability to feel the road. With the suspension listed above you'll have a really tight car and with the right alignment that thing will carve nicely.

Second, if the calipers are not seizing find a good pad and rotor, EBC, Hawk, and many others make a street sport pad that will work tremendously well on the street and still have a higher fade resistance if you happen to hit up a day of AutoX or something, and get a good set of rotors. Drilled and slotted not necessary. A supermassive improvement in brake feel comes from stainless steel brake lines it turns the pedal into a stop switch so it takes a bit to get used to but once you do you'll have really solid and consistent brake modulation. Big brake kits are mostly for show, they can have some benefit to guys who are hard into track days and can make use of them, in general meh. I personally like them because of the look and the fact you can just pull the damn pads out without removing the entirety of the caliper. Its not worth many thousands of dollars though.

Next up I'd dig into the shift linkages. I'd pick up a holy shift kit from Turn In Concepts and maybe find a short throw shifter. Not a short dumpy ass shift lever, and actual short throw. Not all "short shifters" are short throw shifters. With that out of the way the brakes, suspension and gearbox are going to feel good and tight with an affirmative feel.

The final and most critical part of the puzzle is tires. You want to find the tires that BEST suit your environment and usage. There are a ton of good summer tires out there and they will really improve all metrics. Handling, braking, acceleration, and feedback.

Power is a waste sometimes. its more fun to drive a slow car fast.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i agree with xjman - esp about tires. tires can really be a make or break sometimes. especialyl for where you live. i second the rubber materials - even a pinprick hole can cause massive problems very fast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.