Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
anyone have one on their WRX sedan? i already have one for my current car and hopefully i wont have any trouble getting it to fit with the rear spoiler on. i have a Thule speedway 961. any info would be greatly appreciated. thx

·
980 Posts
no thules that i know of fit with the rear spoiler, this I verified at a reputable Thule dealer. I'm going w/ yakima for a roof system in the near future.

-c

·
Registered
189 Posts
i priced a roof rack from yakima and getting the subaru one is cheaper. actualy, what subaru put on was a yakima rack so go figure. if you have a real thick frame it won't fit.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
thx for the responses. i just read something on the Thule website saying they design it to fit on the cars without the spoiler and they can't confirm if it will fit or not. looks like im gonna return this one and see if i can find one to fit the sedan with the spoiler on it. if anyone knows of a trunk mounted rack that would fit over the spoiler the info about it would be greatly appreciated. ill be checking out the yakimas

·
980 Posts
for the mean time, you can settle for taking both tires off and either "trunking" or "backseating" you bike. The Yakima roof rack actually looks pretty good on the sedan. I dont think there is any manufacturer who makes a trunk mount rack thatll fit over the spoiler without causing some pressure to be exerted on the spoiler. The best setup would be the roof system or trailer hitch. If you eventually want to trailer something get the hitch, if you want to lug around more bikes/snowboards/skis/things, get teh roof rack system.

-c

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the reason i was looking for the trunk mounted one is because it was easy to put it on and off. with the roof mounted one can it be taken on and off without messing up the paint? thats what i was worried about when looking for a bike carrier.

·
980 Posts
im pretty sure they all have rubber boots or whatever to prevent paint scratching etc... Hell ill probably leave them on full time when i get them. So many cars have thule and yakima racks. If a BMW 5 series can put one on, then i dont feel as bad putting it on my 1/2 the cost car.

-c

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the hlp fengshui. im gonna try and get out to a dealer tomorrow and hopefully someone knows what they are talking about unlike the last time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
trunk bike racks

I have a sedan without the wing, but I think the rack I have should work. It fits over the tall wing of my wife's Outback Sedan.

I don't know the exact name of the rack, but it is made by Hollywood racks. It may be their Expedition rack. Check out their web site. that's how I found it. It carries up to 3 bikes and is very stable.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i got to try the thule rack on a car that has a similar spoiler as the WRX. it seemed to fit perfectly fine. hopefully all goes well when i get my wrx. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thule vs Yakima. Well I have the Thule roof rack for my wagon. Pesonally I really like it. take me abotu 10 miuntes to get my bike ready to go. the only bad thing is you cant up the rear hatch with it up there but I carry my wheel on the roof too. Now as for mount a roof rack on a sedan I would be carefully. I know thule doesnt make on for WRX with you a factory rack. I had on that was aroof rack for a Chevy Silverado. It left Mark ont eh roof on hot days plus you had to wash the roof each time you wanted to put it on. it we held on under the door frame and we don have a door frame around the window.

·
980 Posts
I just got a used Yakima rack that will fit perfectly. All I have to pay for are the clips for the WRX (to fit it to the window groove), and a set of locks. All in all i saved myself more than 80$ since they threw in the Fairing. Lucked out i guess. It should be the same rack seen in the most recent issue of Sports Compact Car on the Project WRX.

-c

1 - 12 of 12 Posts