Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all... I know I can't be the only one that had a trunk that took a little bit of a slam to get closed...

I decided to do something about it and adjusted the striker/release assembly (mounted to the body).

It took a 12mm socket, a ratchet and some trial and error. Must have been 5 minutes total and I'm VERY pleased with the results. The trunk closes without any pressure and pulling the lever inside the car to release the trunk is BUTTAH! :D

On my particular car I just loosened the 12mm bolts that hold the trunk striker and release assembly onto the body of the car (in the trunk cavity) and moved it to the TOP (up!) of it's travel. Bolted it back down and voila!

I know I've heard people complaining about trunk effort before. Why not give this a shot?

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a note - found out after inspection that if adjusted ALL the way to the top my trunk lid sits a little high on the driver's side.

I had to drop the striker just a bit (2-3mm at most) and the trunk lid settled down to a more acceptable symmetrical gap and I'm lovin' the ease of use. Give it a shot!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I had the same problem, except mine stoped closing all together. Good thing a friend was watching and laughing at me *****ing at it, and then he walked up with the wrench.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the same problem. I am going to give it a try. I know, releasing the trunk is soo unsmooth.........

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're welcome! The hard to shut trunk bothered me for the longest time before I tried the adjustment. Now I'm happy again. :D

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're welcome. :D

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just wondering if the '03 owners out there are noticing the same mis-adjusted trunks as us '02 owners have had to deal with?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hehehe. In the meantime you can always adjust the striker. :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
is2scooby said:
Just wondering if the '03 owners out there are noticing the same mis-adjusted trunks as us '02 owners have had to deal with?
Richard,

I had the same exact problem you were experiencing. I gave the trunk a normal shove and it wouldn't latch closed. I almost had to slam it hard to make it latch.

This was eliminated when they installed my rear spoiler. I guess the weight of the spoiler gave it the extra oomph it needed to close.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Another big praise note for is2Scooby!!!!

Works on the 03s!!

Thanks bro!

SHotgun

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had that same issue too, where you really had to use some force to slam it shut, but with my heavier 22B rear wing, you just let it drop from around half way, and it will close - but if I do have any more issues, will definitely give you re-adjustment tip a go.

·
Registered
635 Posts
my 03 is a PITA to open and close. ill try that tomorrow

1 - 20 of 23 Posts