ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to finance a new wrx. I have been on different forums reading up on cars trying to see which dealers are recommended (Tri State area). It seems that most people who have ordered their cars back in Nov-Dec are scheduled to receive the cars by the end of Jan. I would prefer to get a car off the lot if I could. Anyway to get back to the point of the post. Has anyone used or know people who have used truecar.com. It sounds to easy to just print out a paper and bring it to the dealer. Does anyone have experience using this service or do they used the info to negotiate it at a lower price?

·
Registered
254 Posts
When I bought my first subaru from my dealership I used carsdirect.com price sticker to negotiate price, but now I just send request for internet pricing and then negotiate price over mail.
Subaru dealers mostly have this option on their sites.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I used Truecar.com and this site as a point of reference. I didn't actually print out anything to take to the dealer. I just used it as insider information to negotiate a (better) deal.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I used truecar to see if I was getting a decent deal, but I don't really see how it is a bargaining chip if you just want one off the lot. It is worth a shot of course. Asking for internet pricing and getting one dealer to match/beat another is a good approach.

I didn't order mine but most dealers seemed pretty stiff about their prices for ones they had (during the shortage), and they were convinced that if you didn't buy it someone else would anyways. I even saw one dealer in Baltimore with $1000 markup "just because".

I got a decent deal by using USAA's pricing guarantees to get it lower, but I understand not everyone can get that. I'd say go for one with less dealer add ons to get it cheaper. Also, one that has been test driven more can help. Look at who can give you the best financing as well. This is just as important as final price imo.

Or you can be like my friend and buy your car from a dealer across the country and have it freighted to you. Somehow he still came out on top. good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. Im looking for a base 4door WRX in wrb or possibly 5door. Though I would be open to other colors. Im not looking for any options. Though I wouldn't mind the exhaust or fog lights. I don't want the spoiler since I would prefer to do a trunk swap with someone. Im contacting a bunch of different dealers to see whats the best price they can give me. My 94 firebird is closing in on 220,000 miles and I don't want to spend much to keep it running

·
Registered
169 Posts
I also just used truecar aas a point of reference. I asked for internet quotes from several dealers. Some wanted MSRP, but I was able to find one who was willing to sell for less than the truecar price. I had to wait for the 2012s to arrive, though.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don't know if you had a certain dealer in mind but I ended up buying from Clayton at Ramsey Subaru in NJ, it was by far the best car purchasing experience I've ever had. Everything was super easy, and he's a young guy that didn't give me any of the usual salesman BS, I can give you his email if you want to check it out.

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ramsy was the one I was looking at. I read a lot of good things about them. I did see one guy that either worked there or recommended someone from Ramsy and posted in one of the forums I forget which though

·
Registered
133 Posts
Oh that's cool, yeah ordering there couldn't have been easier, I tried 3 other dealers closer to me at first, which all tried to give me a bit of the usual run-around over the price. They like to act like it would be unheard of to sell a wrx at invoice, even though we know most people get theirs for that or below. I don't know how different it may or may not be trying to get one from dealer stock (if they even have any) but hopefully you get a great price!

·
Registered
479 Posts
I used TrueCar to see how the prices were in the area so I had a better understanding going into the dealership. I ended up getting my 2011 from Cherry Hill Subaru.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I used truecar.com today actually. Took my computer to the dealership and it helped a lot.

I initially had an email agreement to purchase the car for $550 below invoice. At the showroom they tried to sell it at MSRP the first round. I said no way and showed them the real invoice numbers. 5 minutes later they came back with the exact price I wanted. Over $2,000 less. It couldnt have been much easier really..

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the info everyone. I have sent a few emails out and so far one response was the exact price listed on Truecar.com Base WRX, sort throw(not sure about the bushings though ill talk to them about that), SPT exhaust, & arm rest. The price one place gave me was $25,877 It's over $2,000 less then the Sticker price (about $300 below invoice). I'm not sure if that's a good deal though It sounds it. I'm not too familiar with purchasing a new car, Ive always had used ones. How does that deal sound?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thats pretty good. You can get it a bit lower. I just ordered mine for $550 below invoice. Check the recent sales in truecar

·
Registered
254 Posts
Send them your price, and ask if they will match. Best part with negotiation is that you can always move on, or go away. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I checked the truecar price and for northern NJ that's exactly as listed Though for some reason Philly area is 200 lower. I have to ask and make sure that's the out the door price.

·
Registered
133 Posts
That sounds like a good price to me, like you said just double check that its "out the door"....the doc fees and various other fees dealers charge can vary quite a bit from place to place.

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wasn't really planning to use true car maybe more for reference. Though it appears that in my case it may be work out.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I also used truecar and got my car for 500 over dealer cost. Brought my print out with everything I wanted and got it for a dollar over true car. 26101 .2012 wrx 5 door base w/ performance pkg A, red illumination, cup holders, auto dimming mirror w/ homelink and wheel locks. I think I got a really good deal with no haggle needed

1 - 20 of 33 Posts