ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright well i searched the FAQ and only found a list with most of the codes not much more.

Well I went to Autozone got it checked and I have to CELs the first P0011, and the second P0021. They both are Camshaft position A- timing over advanced or performance. The first code is for bank 1 and the second is for bank 2 whatever that means...

My question is how serious is this and what are the possible ways to solve it. Also what causes it. thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,232 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh thanks I should have searched the codes themselves lol Ok well i went on a usual cruise around the town and the CEL was still on right..... pull up to my house look down and its gone. I would still want to fix any potential issues wrong with it.

You have any ideas specifically whats wrong? I think my best bet is to change the oil, then take a look at the timing belt.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,232 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Mitchell's first step is to change the oil and clean out the oil passages. THEN drain that oil and replace the oil filter. If that fixes the problem it was a temporary malfunction. I also found this information below on napafix.

Vehicle Application: 2004 Subaru Forester XT 2.5L 2006 Subaru Forester X L.L. Bean Edition 2.5L
2005 Subaru Forester XT 2.5L 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX Sti 2.5L 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5L, Turbo, Eng Des EJ255 2006 Subaru Outback XT 2.5L
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5L, Turbo, Eng Cfg H4, Eng Des EJ255

Customer Concern: Trouble code P0011. Active Valve Control System (AVCS) B1 position over-advanced and excess smoke from tail pipe.

Tests/Procedures: 1. The intake cam is advanced when it should not be. See TSB 02-97-05 for possible restricted AVCS banjo bolt filter.

2. Check scan data for cam position.

3. Check oil pressure. If low check the intake manifold for oil.

4. If oil, possible turbo seals leaking, causing low oil pressure.
Potential Causes: Banjo Bolt — Install banjo bolts without screens.
Turbocharger

Tech Tips: TSB 02-97-05
Diagnostic Codes: P0011
Author: Todd Erickson
Average Reported Mileage: 82293

Confirmed Fix Summary

8 - Banjo Bolt Filter
8 - Turbocharger
5 - Engine Oil
3 - Banjo Bolt Filter, Turbocharger
2 - Engine Oil, Engine Oil Filter
2 - Turbocharger, Turbocharger Oil Feed Line
1 - Banjo Bolt Copper Washer(s), Turbocharger
1 - Bank 1 Intake Valve Timing (IVT) Control Solenoid Valve
1 - Engine Oil, Engine Oil Filter, Engine Oil Sludge
1 - Oil Pan, Oil Pump Pickup Tube, Timing Belt, Turbocharger
1 - Oil Pump Oil Seal
1 - Oil Pump Pickup Tube

The TSB is for a specific VIN, Starting VIN 5*502352. And that is to replace the banjo bolt without the screen. If it pertains to you then the part number is 15194AA270.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts