ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I purchased a 2004 Subaru Wrx, the motor was blown, so I (owning a mechanic shop) did a motor swap on it. (I purchased an ej20, which was twin turbo, but converted it to single turbo) Everything fit perfect, and everything is in right. All wiring, and fuses, etc. The motor turns over, but it wont start completely. If anyone has a clue why, and would help me, it would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,234 Posts
All the sensors from the US ECU connected to somewhere on the foreign market motor?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, but i kept everything from the original motor, all the sensors are from original motor. (intake, wiring, wiring harness, all hoses) only thing that is replaced is the engine itself, everything is original.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,234 Posts
Are there any CEL codes? If yes, please post code numbers. If not, treat like any other motor -- spark, fuel, air checks etc.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Are there any CEL codes? If yes, please post code numbers. If not, treat like any other motor -- spark, fuel, air checks etc.
Yes exactly spark fuel air.

I'm really wondering about that motor you bought that since you said it had a twin turbo setup. Nobody runs a twin turbo on these motors. Makes me wonder what else about that motor isn't normal. Do you know what injectors, cams, etc are in it? It could easily not start because it had the bits and pieces to support a twin turbo setup. How do you know it had the twin setup?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright well I got it running but the boost doesn't seem to kick in,like a lag sort of thing, if you want to help me out on that

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Yes exactly spark fuel air.

I'm really wondering about that motor you bought that since you said it had a twin turbo setup. Nobody runs a twin turbo on these motors. Makes me wonder what else about that motor isn't normal. Do you know what injectors, cams, etc are in it? It could easily not start because it had the bits and pieces to support a twin turbo setup. How do you know it had the twin setup?
EJ20TT, just not USDM.

Alright well I got it running but the boost doesn't seem to kick in,like a lag sort of thing, if you want to help me out on that
Did you put the stock boost control system back together correctly with the right tubing ID, T fitting, and restrictor pill?

See pic on pg. 2:
http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/images/HowSubaruFactoryBoostControlSystemWorksv109.pdf

Is the compression on that the same as on a USDM EJ205 that the stock tune (map) is built for? Which heads are you using?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts