ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey mountain staters, I'm planning a road trip to colorado which will end up in estes park where we are meeting some people.
I was wondering if anyone had any tips or recommendations on things to do in estes park or the surrounding area. We have plenty of time and $$ so things outside the estes park area are good possibilities.

Mountian biking, rafting, hiking, nightlife.

I've been researching, but all the info I've found has been vague and not extremely informative. I assume you people are in the know.

anything will be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
466 Posts
You won't have any problems spending money in Estes, it's a pricey town because it's a tourist trap. There are some microbreweries around, and other than that I don't know much about the nightlife. I would guess there's good info on this page.

Drive over Trail Ridge Road to the west of Estes. It goes through Rocky Mountain National Park . Tons of hiking up there. Oodles, one can hike for days. It's $15 for your entrance fee, good for a week.

If you continue over the road into Granby, head south on Hwy 34 then south on Hwy 40 to Winter Park , you are in the mountain bike capitol of the world. At least they say so. There is lift served biking and many trails in the area. They have an alpine slide, mini golf, climbing walls, lots of free outdoor concerts and the like.

Around the junction of hwy 34 and 40 you will meet up with the Colorado River. There are some commercial rafting companies around there. This organization does a comprehensive list based on the river you want to raft. Go to outfitters by river, and then pick a river and you'll get a list. Where I just suggested is the Upper Colorado. If you want to head out of the mountains and a little north you can hit up the Cache la Poudre.

If you want to get out of Estes, tell me how far you want to drive and there's probably something interesting.

·
Registered
61 Posts
BeckaSki said:
If you continue over the road into Granby, head south on Hwy 34 then south on Hwy 40 to Winter Park , you are in the mountain bike capitol of the world. At least they say so. There is lift served biking and many trails in the area. They have an alpine slide, mini golf, climbing walls, lots of free outdoor concerts and the like.
If you continue on past winterpark, heading back towards denver and back to 25 there are some really sweet hairpin switchback turns.. the speed limit sign "suggests" no mroe then 30 mph around these turns... try it at about 60... The car will hold nicely and it's a hell of a lot of fun. Also There is a town which appearntly some guy went mad in, took a bulldozer and plowed through like every single building ( think it was Granby...)

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Check out Lake Granby and the other lake nearby. Not sure what you are allowed to do on the lakes, but I spotted a bunch of sailboats when I drove by.

Mountain biking and hiking trails abound in the foothills as well as the mountains. Less rocky (technical) in the mountains than the foothills.

Cache la Poudre river up by Ft. Collins vicinity has one of the more challenging (class 3 to 5+) rafting that I've done.

You'll probably have to go to Denver or Boulder for nightlife.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts