Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the Tein S-Techs it says to trim the front and rear bump stops. I have no problem doing that, its just that I am not sure what the bump stop is. The service book calls it a helper, now is that it or not. I am so confused as to if it is it.

Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
its a cream colored stiff rubber piece that is about 3" long, and slides over the actual shaft of the strut. its probably about 1.5" across with a whole through the middle so it can slide onto the strut. i cant really tell from that pic, but i think it might be the piece that you circled.
its a kind of a bumper to pad the strut in case it happens to bottom out.
o-|-<) bryan

·
Registered
16 Posts
Anyone know why the SPT suspension kit doesn't have these? Do they just not expect you to bottom out with the stiffer springs?

Or maybe I just put mine on wrong, and should have used the ones from the stock struts. I don't see how they would fit though, since the SPT strut is like twice the diameter.

·
Registered
51 Posts
is this a necessary thing to do when doing an install? because i didnt do it. do i have to do the whole install again?

·
Registered
283 Posts
WRB03WRX said:
is this a necessary thing to do when doing an install? because i didnt do it. do i have to do the whole install again?
is it necessary to trim them?

yes, so you have more suspension travel.

·
Registered
62 Posts
whoa whoa whoa, so you have to trim the bump stops on any aftermarket spring you put on the car, i.e. eibach, RSR, etc?

nothing is easy anymore is it???? haha. :baaa:

dont ask about the smiley, never seen it used, thought i'd throw it in. hehe.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
well if you dont bottom out on your springs, maybe you dont need to trim the bumpstop. on teh eibachs it says to trim the rears 1" and leave the fronts the same. find out what the specifics are for your springs.
and yes, you should have bump stops in there just in case you seriously bottom out your car, it could blow your strut if you dont have a bump stop in there.
o-|-<) bryan

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, I did some searching, and it looks like one of the features of an inverted strut like the SPT kit is that the bump stops are internal. That would explain why I didn't think mine had any.

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
WheelsCSM said:
Well, I did some searching, and it looks like one of the features of an inverted strut like the SPT kit is that the bump stops are internal. That would explain why I didn't think mine had any.
That's correct- they look very similar to the oem strut one, but internal. The new STi Prodrive springs soon to be released, actually come w/ new bump stop for the inverted strut- you have to disassemb;e the strut to get at it.

Big Sky

·
Registered
170 Posts
To me it looks like you have to cut .6" front and 1.6" in rear if you have GDA/GGA '02-'03 and .4" front only if you have GDA/GDF '04 and up but NOW I'm confused, I have an GGA '05.....

·
Registered
87 Posts
i recommend compressing the strut fully, and cut the bump stop so its 1/2-3/4" longer than the shaft. cut the bottom off, not the top. good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts