1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Nice pics!

·
Registered
165 Posts
It's easy. At the next storm, find a safe place with a wide expanse and setup there.

What you will need:
Tripod
Widest angle lens as possible
Electronic release cable for new cameras or a manual release for older cameras
Manual settings on the camera
High speed film (Fuji 1600*)

1. Find a good position and setup the camera on a tripod.
2. Attach the release cable.
3. Set the shutter speed for a number of variables. Try 15 seconds, 30 seconds, or manual open/release.
4. Set the lens to as wide as possible with a large aperture (preferably 2.8-3.5 minimum).
5. Use the release cable to fire off the shutter as the shutter speeds are too slow to physically touch the camera without causing shakes.

If done correctly, you should be able to capture a multitude of lightning strikes on a single frame.

If you are using a digital camera, it should have a setting for forcing the ISO. Push it to 800-1600. This will treat the image as if you were using 800-1600 speed film.

If you are using a point and shoot camera, well, stop trying as the only outcome will be very bland, average pictures.

Experiment with different settings, films, and lenses for different effects. Fisheye + one minute exposures + slide film + lightning = interesting shots.

*Depending on how dark the ambient lighting is will determine what speed of film is needed. If it is bright, go with a slower film. If it is quite dark, go with a higher speed. Fuji 1600 is great for night shots and fast action subjects, but it can become very grainy with lower quality lenses and high apertures.

·
Registered
783 Posts
^^ what he said is :confused: :confused1 to me

BTW, nice pics!

·
Registered
426 Posts
You did a better job than me, :thumbup: nice timing. Here's my attempt. The pics are from the balcony of the hotel I stayed at while I was on vacation. I was able to catch the beach, but no lightning. If it wasn't for that fcuking screen, the pics wouldn't of been half bad. :mad:

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didnt have a release cable or tripod. I dont even have ISO. I just turned the flash off which at night makes the shutter stay open for like 5 sec. and held the camera really still.:D . It was a pretty good lightning storm so there was a strike like every 30 sec.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts