Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title pretty much says it all. I live in Key West, FL and we were recently hit by Hurricane Irma. There is still a lot of clean up going on which includes dump trucks with claws that pick up debris off the road. Friday I was going around one of the trucks and as I was passing a large chunk of tree trunk fell out of the claw and onto my A pillar. I now have a pretty bad dent in the A pillar, the mirror is almost hanging off and the entire side skirt was taken off. It also appears that the front fender is out of place. A couple of friends were looking at the damage and said that it may be structural damage and will take a lot to repair. I doubt it will be totaled as the car is only 6-7 months old. Any thoughts on if the damage is major. Thanks in advance.

Can?t believe the car made it through a Category 4 hurricane only to have this happen.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
First and most importantly, we are all sorry this happened to you, noting the irony of it being caused after the hurricane. Hopefully the truck stopped and the driver acknowledged what he caused by an improperly secured load!

It sure is going to be expensive to repair it. The fact that your windshield is intact is surprising, suggesting that the A pillar damage might be fixable (maybe first requiring the windshield to be temporarily removed).

However, the current misalignment of the door tells me the first thing a high quality shop should and will do, is to put it onto their frame measuring machine and determine whether your chassis is in its OEM alignment. If it is not OEM, that in and of itself does not mean your car is totaled, for if not in OEM spec, they will look into where/how are the bent parts, and whether their machine can pull it back into place.

I highly doubt your car is totaled, but until your car’s chassis is measured and determined to be fine, needing straightening, or can not be straighten, you will not definitively know. If my car, and the body shop or dealer’s body shop just wanted to throw replacement parts at your car without measuring its chassis alignment, I would balk and appeal their proposed process.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mishap! My car has been in the shop for 8 weeks for repair after hail damage, but I will finally be getting ole Rexy back next week.

I doubt it would be totaled. In most states it would need to be at least 85% of residual value to qualify. I imagine it will be in the thousands, maybe up to $10K. That was the bill for replacing the roof and hood on my vehicle. BTW the panels themselves cost $500-1000, but the labor cost is several times that.

Anyway, keep us posted. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First and most importantly, we are all sorry this happened to you, noting the irony of it being caused after the hurricane. Hopefully the truck stopped and the driver acknowledged what he caused by an improperly secured load!

It sure is going to be expensive to repair it. The fact that your windshield is intact is surprising, suggesting that the A pillar damage might be fixable (maybe first requiring the windshield to be temporarily removed).

However, the current misalignment of the door tells me the first thing a high quality shop should and will do, is to put it onto their frame measuring machine and determine whether your chassis is in its OEM alignment. If it is not OEM, that in and of itself does not mean your car is totaled, for if not in OEM spec, they will look into where/how are the bent parts, and whether their machine can pull it back into place.

I highly doubt your car is totaled, but until your car’s chassis is measured and determined to be fine, needing straightening, or can not be straighten, you will not definitively know. If my car, and the body shop or dealer’s body shop just wanted to throw replacement parts at your car without measuring its chassis alignment, I would balk and appeal their proposed process.
Thanks for the info. I will be sure to speak about this with the body shop once it goes in for repairs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry to hear about your mishap! My car has been in the shop for 8 weeks for repair after hail damage, but I will finally be getting ole Rexy back next week.

I doubt it would be totaled. In most states it would need to be at least 85% of residual value to qualify. I imagine it will be in the thousands, maybe up to $10K. That was the bill for replacing the roof and hood on my vehicle. BTW the panels themselves cost $500-1000, but the labor cost is several times that.

Anyway, keep us posted. Good luck!
Sorry to hear about your hail damage. I will keep the thread updated as I find out more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
sorry, what bad luck. hopefully insurance covers it.

can you please take a close pic of the car side where the sideskirt/rocker panel is?
Here is a close up shot of the rocker panel just behind the front wheel as well as a full side shot.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts