ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I upgraded the transmission mount as well as the cross member bushings. While that the gear whine is louder than ever, I do like it! What I don't like is the grinding noise when decelerating (engine braking) with the engine dropping to around 2,000 - 2,500 rpm.

I know that this noise is normal for the 5-speed transmission, and the only known solution to this is to replace the flywheel with a heavier one, which is something I don't want to do.

So the question is, would there be something else that could even slightly reduce that (annoying) grinding noise? Would a transmission fluid flush remedy this at all?

Thanks for all your insights.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
It's a compromise, if you want the stiffer bushings, you have to take the noises that come along with it. The noise was always there, you were just insulated from it by the rubbery bushings. The only way to get rid of it is to put the old bushings back in.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jd,
Yes, I agree. I knew there would be increased NVH, and I really don't mind the gear whine. I understand that I might need to live with the grinding noise, but was just wondering if there's anything could be done to reduce it just a tiny little bit.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
How many miles on the car/tranny? Do you know when the last time the tranny fluid was changed? Perhaps it still is time for that anyway.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I *believe* it's around 15k-17k now with about 5 times to the dealer for regular maintenances. Is it due for a tranny fluid change? Or is one already included in those dealer jobs?

·
Registered
719 Posts
I *believe* it's around 15k-17k now with about 5 times to the dealer for regular maintenances. Is it due for a tranny fluid change? Or is one already included in those dealer jobs?
I've had similar problems in a few of our cars. Fluid change could do it. I don't get the grinding noise you're talking about. I definitely get the "whine"

·
Registered
479 Posts
I definitely get the whine from deceleration... not the best sounding noise in the world since it makes you think your car is full out dying every time it happens but it comes with owning the car. I'm thinking about just going with a louder and more obnoxious exhaust to muffle the noise lol ;)

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Wait, what year is the car?

And 15k-17k should be alright for not needing a tranny fluid change. That service interval is every 30k. But doing it earlier may actually help. It could be a "cheap" fix to your issue as opposed to having a mechanic or the dealer look at it and think its something else...

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Unless your tires need air or rotating, there is nothing to be done about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts