ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am presently installing a 2003 WRX transmission (TY754VN2BA) in my 1,900 lb SCCA road race car. I am installing a Bremar coupling and cover to convert it to a transaxle. The Subaru engine has 475 ft-lbs torque and 460 HP at the rear wheels.

Question:
What is the difference in this WRX transmission and an STI transmission? are OEM gears that are stronger than those in this tranmission available?

Will this transmission take the torque if it is used for road racing, not drag racing.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
WRX transmission is a 5 speed and weak and the STI transmission is a 6 speed and a beast of a tranny. Yes there are stronger gears available for a price and no that tranny won't hold up. Not even worth putting it in

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
Question:
What is the difference in this WRX transmission and an STI transmission? are OEM gears that are stronger than those in this tranmission available?
There are several STi gearboxes. Some are 5 speed and some are 6 speed. All are said to be stronger than the WRX 5 speed, and this is in fact true generally for those STi gearboxes that are 6 speed.

A number of gearsets are available for the 5 speed, and I think you may have to look but you could potentially find older, ex-homologation gearsets with a longer 1st that would be more useful to you for road racing. People generally say "PPG" for option 5 speed gears, but they are of course not Subaru.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the 5 speed STI transmission stronger than the WRX transmission. If it is, where is the additional strength?
Can the STI parts be installed in he WRX transmission.

With the HP and torque, I will probably use only 3,4 & 5.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
Is the 5 speed STI transmission stronger than the WRX transmission.
Ostensibly

If it is, where is the additional strength?
Initial speculation was in the metallurgy and the thickness of parts used. Others have simply said the thicker parts make chunkier shrapnel when they fail.

Can the STI parts be installed in he WRX transmission.
With the 5 speed gearboxes, generally yes I believe because (from memory) the casing in GrN and even GrA early cars had to be "stock."

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I run in class ITE Improved Touring E which is unlimited. Only need an original tub.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts