ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys (and girls?),

I used to be on here years ago when I first got my WRX ('03 Wagon, manual transmission), but got out of the "car scene" so have been driving my WRX as a normal daily driver for quite some time. I don't autocross or do any sort of racing, never did any power mods, just some light suspension work (springs & Koni shocks), intake elbow delete, and a RSTB.

Anyway, since this is the transmission section, I'm posting about changing my fluid. I was in school for a while and working low-paying jobs for years so haven't kept up on maintenance as well as I should. Been changing oil and brakes, etc. as I should but I have slipped on somethings, specifically the transmission fluid. I know I'm gonna get yelled at because these transmissions are known for being fragile. I figured it was way past time to change the fluid, and mentioned it to a friend and he said it may be more harm than good at this point. I've got 153k on the odometer.

I bought the car with 66k miles on it in '05, and never had problems shifting into 1st while moving, so I don't know if the previous owner had changed the fluid or anything. I've never had any problems with the transmission up until recently (the last couple weeks) where I've noticed a few issues:

1 - When shifting into first (I notice this at green lights the most) I tend to push the clutch in quickly as I move the lever into first, and I have been getting grinding. I've noticed if I leave the clutch in for a second, then slide it in, it goes smooth. Also, shifting it to second, then straight up to first with the clutch in works well too.

2 - A few times when going from 3rd to 4th I get a SLIGHT grind (I'd describe it as a click).

So my questions are, should I change the fluid, and what should I use? I saw a lot of threads about synthetic vs. conventional oil, cocktails of various fluids etc. I'm just looking for something smoother that may help my car shift a little more smoothly and give me some more reliable miles.

Thanks!

·
Æternum
20,942 Posts
Subaru Extra S /thread.

·
The Default One
4,489 Posts
The Transmission oil in the 5-speed manual is suppose to be changed every 30k miles.

Change the oil in the transmission and the rear differential with Subaru Extra S. Hopefully this will resolve your issue.

Edit:
he said it may be more harm than good at this point
This kind of thinking is generally associated with an automatic transmission. The clutch material in AT's breaks off, and spreads throughout the AFT. At that point changing the ATF will cause the transmission to slip because the binding agents have been removed.

Change your trans and rear diff oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies. The Subaru Extra S makes a lot of sense. I'll call around and see if any dealers are using that locally, and will try to buy it from them in order to change it on my own or may just drop it off and have them do it.

I'll also check the regional section as well.

Again, thank you guys! :D

·
The Default One
4,489 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's likely that Subaru Dealers have it in stock. However, it comes in 5gal buckets. Not all of them will sell it over the counter (5gal bucket or by the qt).
Thanks for the links! I already had the DIY thread up. I called a few local dealers and they said they had never heard of it, but of course would be happy to order me the 20L drum. I also just remembered I live minutes away from AndrewTech, called and left a message there, hopefully they have it.

If not, I'll just order some online from Fred Beans!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts