Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about changing my transmission fluid to Redline Shockproof. I was wondering if I need to change my tranmission filter or do we even have one? If so do you guys think it is a good idea to do it when I change my tranny fluid. p.s if the tranny fluid change fairly easy?

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Hi there -

I don't know if we have a tranny filter. I'm guessing no. I would not see why the trans. fluid change would be difficult. If you were to put in an external tranny cooler, then you could also install an external tranny filter. IMO, this is a good idea. If any metal shavings come off in your tranny, they will be absorbed by the filter and save you trans. from being damaged.

·
Registered
31 Posts
if you are taling about putting the RedLine Shockproof in the tranny, I wouldn't do that.
The Shockprook is made for heavily loaded differential units, not tranny's with synchros that need a certain level of friction plus thinner oil. In fact Shockproof acts more like 75W250 and has some sort of additive that acts like extremely small balls that "squish" when squeezed between a ring and pinion gear set.

You may be able to get away with it in the summer, but winter driving may be a choir till you get the tranny fully warmed up.
Plus I think you might gradually wear the synchros more with the Shockproof.
If you are looking for synthetic protection, you can try a 50/50 mix of any synthetic 75W90 and MT90.
If you will be tracking the car, simply replace the fluid often.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts