ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day I started hearing a grinding noise that sounds EXACTLY like breaks going bad... But it's coming from the trans or the center diff area.
While driving the sound is affected by speed, regaurdless of being in gear or in nuetral. Speeding up the sound speeds up, slowing down sound slows, even in nuetral and slowing down the sound matches the speed of the car... All gears shift OK, no grinding switching gears. I switched to redline shockproof and 75w90 drove 50mi on that and no change. There was some metal shavings on the magnetic plug however... Any ideas? I don't want to keep driving it and F*&K anything up worse if I can avoid it.

Car is an 05 wrx
clutch is just exedy stage 1...

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Is it driving any different? Does the noise go away when you push in the clutch?

Could be center diff going bad or the carrier bearing on the drive shaft.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doesn't seem to be driving differently, and Nope the sound DOES NOT go away with the clutch pushed in. Sounds the same in all gears under load or in nuetral =/
Had it up in the air and the sound is coming from the back half of the tranny/diff area.
You can even hear it when spinning the wheels by hand...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I been busy so kind of been neglecting the wrx... but did some more reading and heard that the center diff can give off a strong smell like a burning clutch. Is this true??

The day before I started noticing the grinding sound, i smelled what I thought was my clutch burning but I was at a steady speed just cruising on the highway and just assumed it was the car in front of me haha!

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,234 Posts
Suspect clutch throw out bearing, clutch assembly, gearbox output shaft bearing, centre diff, or gear(s) in order of increasing cost.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Suspect clutch throw out bearing, clutch assembly, gearbox output shaft bearing, centre diff, or gear(s) in order of increasing cost.
Clutch was replaced a little over a year ago with an exedy stage 1 kit along with the throwout bearing... Not sure what symptoms the throwout bearing would cause, but clutch is good and shifts pretty smooth. I doubt it'd be the throwout bearing though since the noise does not go away when the clutch is pressed in.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
What exactly are "breaks?"

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,234 Posts
If it's coming out the back end of the gearbox suspect output shaft bearing more and more. Sorry I don't know how to deal with it; mine was replaced under warranty many years ago.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it's coming out the back end of the gearbox suspect output shaft bearing more and more. Sorry I don't know how to deal with it; mine was replaced under warranty many years ago.
I'm thinking it's either that or the center diff... Is there a surefire way to diagnose either of these without pulling them off the car though? haha

Not sure if this means anything but when on the lift we spun the rear wheel by hand (all 4 wheels spinning) and you can clearly hear the grinding noise...
But when we spun the front wheels there was no grinding noise. So seams like it's only grinding when the center diff is engaged or driveshaft is rotating?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts