ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have an 02 sti with 5-speed manual that toasted second gear is it possible to put a 06-07 5-speed right back in as a swap

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
pretty sure you need more than just the trans for that swap. Could be wrong though

·
Æternum
20,574 Posts
This chart is slightly more comprehensive, but it does not include any transmissions manufactured after 2005.

Subaru Transmission Chart

FYI, no WRX STi was sold with a 5-speed manual in 2002. If indeed you are referring to the 2002 USDM WRX utilizing the 2006/2007 USDM WRX transmission, it will work but only with the 2006/2007 rear differential. You will instead want to find a 2003-2005 WRX transmission or 2008+ WRX transmission for the simplest swap.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
FYI, no WRX STi was sold with a 5-speed manual in 2002. If indeed you are referring to the 2002 USDM WRX utilizing the 2006/2007 USDM WRX transmission, it will work but only with the 2006/2007 rear differential. You will instead want to find a 2003-2005 WRX transmission or 2008+ WRX transmission for the simplest swap.

Well there you go.. I guess they did change the final drive in 06-07 huh?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This chart is slightly more comprehensive, but it does not include any transmissions manufactured after 2005.

Subaru Transmission Chart

searched the vin 2002-- impreza sedan 2.0 liter turbo 4cyl with manual awd transmission manufactured by fugi in japan. didnt mention the awd earlier. found a dealer with a brand new never installed 06-07 5-speed. My car is not a true sti actually i guess just a wrx, just want to know if swap is possible w/o having to change axles or problems with output shafts size etc etc

·
Æternum
20,574 Posts
searched the vin 2002-- impreza sedan 2.0 liter turbo 4cyl with manual awd transmission manufactured by fugi in japan. didnt mention the awd earlier. found a dealer with a brand new never installed 06-07 5-speed. My car is not a true sti actually i guess just a wrx, just want to know if swap is possible w/o having to change axles or problems with output shafts size etc etc
You will need the rear diff. It's not a worthwhile swap. Find a 2002-2005 transmission.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,220 Posts
have an 02 sti with 5-speed manual that toasted second gear is it possible to put a 06-07 5-speed right back in as a swap
This depends on your final drive and which hubs your car is using.

My car is not a true sti actually i guess just a wrx, just want to know if swap is possible w/o having to change axles or problems with output shafts size etc etc
The car is either a model or it isn't. Find out which before spending money because guessing will end up being really expensive. Once you are sure please feel free to post back for specific info. Also, verify which rear diff your car is using.

The plaque will have a gear box code and the safest thing to do is to find another gearbox with the same code. Splitting one open co$t$ more (but again, the worst is gue$$ing).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts