Ok, i have a 2005 Wrx, and i have the following mods:

Perrin Cold air intake
Megan Racing Catless uppipe
Catless turboback exhaust
Cobb/PDX Tuning custom map tuned to 17lbs
Turbo XS TMIC
Projector Headlights
Cheap Ass Clutch

NOW, i am taking it into the shop because i threw a rod, but it is fixable... and while im in there, i am getting the following mods.

Crower Stage 2 272 camshafts
STI 565cc Pink Injectors
Walbro 255 lph fuel Pump
STI Oil pump
20g Greddy Turbo
Eagle Forged Rods
Manley Forged Valves
Manley Valvesprings
ACL Rod Bearings
ClutchMasters Stg. 3 Clutch
Turbo XS FMIC
TEIN Street Series Lowering Springs

OK, so I am getting all this stuff, because i have a buddy with an SRT 4 That i just CAN NOT BEAT! I figured if im paying labor for him to go into the engine, i might as well splurge for some more stuff other than rods, and the Tein springs and FMIC, and Clutch was stuff that i had in the garage that i just don't have time to do myself, because im always doing USMC stuff.

My question is, I have heard that my tranny is weak, and is gonna be my most vulnerable part of my car until i get it upgraded. I have already looked into an STI tranny, and that just ain't gonna happen. Im bending over backwards to get this stuff as it is, and it is already purchased and going into the car. I know im gonna upgrade it if i have to, but do i REALLY HAVE TOO? If so, what is the ABSOLUTE cheapest way to to so, so that it can handle the kind of power that i will be pushing... I have heard some guys talking about the Legacy GT gears, but im not sure how true that is, or how much of an upgrade that is... but please just give me info... Thanks guys.

-Willie.

·
Banned
6,622 Posts
A 20G is not a Garrett turbo and Walbro doesn't make an oil pump. Pink injectors don't flow nearly enough either. Also, you will need to look into upgrading your brakes and you will need more than just springs for your suspension. Pistons need to be added to your list as well. Lastly, Clutchmasters....bleh.

LGT gears are not the upgrade you're looking for.

·
Banned
6,622 Posts
My bad... Its a greddy turbo... That was my bad... And as for the oil pump.. I don't know what it is I guess.. But ill look into it. Regardless, what is My best and most affordable option as far as the tranny goes?
If you need to upgrade, probably mFactory.

I'd research everything you're wanting to do again. So far it seems more like you're leaping before you look, which is generally a bad idea when you have thousands of dollars in an investment.

For the record, Greddy's 20G kit is overpriced like no tomorrow.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,920 Posts
If you're dumping all that money into the car why not just splurge for PPGs?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you're dumping all that money into the car why not just splurge for PPGs?
Because all the other mods i listed take up the "splurge" fund... im looking for something i can do under 1000 dollars or maybe just over that i can do to increase the strength of the most vulnerable gears in my tranny, which i would assume is 1st and second...

·
Banned
6,622 Posts
Because all the other mods i listed take up the "splurge" fund... im looking for something i can do under 1000 dollars or maybe just over that i can do to increase the strength of the most vulnerable gears in my tranny, which i would assume is 1st and second...
There are no gears under $1,000. The next upgrade up is $2,500.

·
The Default One
4,489 Posts
Because all the other mods i listed take up the "splurge" fund...
What is your total budget for this build?

Edit: More thoughts on this.
Are you going to retain the 2.0L engine?

How close is it when you race your friend with the SRT-4?
If he's beating you by a 3-4 car lenghts, then a FP 68HTA would be enough to send you over the top. Plus it would have much less lag than the 20G (especially on a 2.0L).

Also, if you get a more medium size turbo (68HTA, 16G, 18G) the effectiveness of aftermarket cams is diminished. Using the stock valve train (cams, valves, and valve springs) can save you quite a bit of money (especially if you are going to have someone else install them).

MFactory is a great choice for gears, the ratios are good and they are stronger then the RA/LGT gears. Just retain the stock 5th gear for use on the freeway.

Clutch masters is a company that makes clutches for big American cars, and also happen to make cars for some imports. Go with either ACT or Exedy. Also choose a clutch that matches your engines Torque, not engine stage. Please read this about choosing a clutch.

As pointed out before the Pink Injectors aren't going to be large enough, unless you get a turbo like the VF39.

Turbo XS makes high quality intercoolers, but you can get a top mounted IC that is equal in quality, for less money, and it won't compromise the front end crash ability's of your car. Like the one made by Process West.

Springs... There are better choices than TIEN. Like EPIC.

Please read the links in my signature. Especially Unabomber's Manifesto

Okay. I'm done for now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is your total budget for this build?

Edit: More thoughts on this.
Are you going to retain the 2.0L engine?

How close is it when you race your friend with the SRT-4?
If he's beating you by a 3-4 car lenghts, then a FP 68HTA would be enough to send you over the top. Plus it would have much less lag than the 20G (especially on a 2.0L).

Also, if you get a more medium size turbo (68HTA, 16G, 18G) the effectiveness of aftermarket cams is diminished. Using the stock valve train (cams, valves, and valve springs) can save you quite a bit of money (especially if you are going to have someone else install them).

MFactory is a great choice for gears, the ratios are good and they are stronger then the RA/LGT gears. Just retain the stock 5th gear for use on the freeway.

Clutch masters is a company that makes clutches for big American cars, and also happen to make cars for some imports. Go with either ACT or Exedy. Also choose a clutch that matches your engines Torque, not engine stage. Please read this about choosing a clutch.

As pointed out before the Pink Injectors aren't going to be large enough, unless you get a turbo like the VF39.

Turbo XS makes high quality intercoolers, but you can get a top mounted IC that is equal in quality, for less money, and it won't compromise the front end crash ability's of your car. Like the one made by Process West.

Springs... There are better choices than TIEN. Like EPIC.

Please read the links in my signature. Especially Unabomber's Manifesto

Okay. I'm done for now.
OK, here we go... there have been a few changes, so I'm gonna try to lay it out.
My budget is 4600 dollars, which has all been accounted for with the mods i listed before. I am actually going to be getting a VF39 turbo, instead of the 20g, because i have read that it is a decent upgrade for the wrx, and can hold a significantly higher amount of boost than the stock turbo. The STI Injectors would work with this turbo, but i reached my budget before i got them on the list. The guy said he could get them and install them for 300 dollars, but that my car would still run fine with the stock injectors, but i really should upgrade if im looking for the power that i want, so i will do my best to come up with 300 dollars in the next week or two. The Cams, Valves, and valve springs have already been purchased, because when i threw the rod, i decided to get the parts on the inside of the engine forged, everything except pistons, because i was advised by a couple of mechs that my stock pistons should be fine, plus they are a little expensive. I looked at MFactory and just absolutely can't afford that. The good news is that i will be deploying to afghanistan early next year, so i am going to be able to get that then, or i might just go with an STI tranny. The turbo XS fmic was purchased while i was in Afghanistan before, simply because all the online forums said it was the FMIC to have if you wanted to keep your fog lights, and have the least amount of modification to your wrx. I got a deal on it, 769.99, so i purchased it. I am just having him install it for me, and he is only charging 50 bucks. As for the clutch, that has changed as well. I can't remember what the brand was, but it was a brand that i had heard of before. The way he explained it was, that since i needed a new clutch anyway, that i should get a Comp Iron disk clutch, that comes with some sort of valve that allows the "bite" of the clutch to be a lot softer, and not as sharp, so it would give me a much better chance of not ripping my tranny to shreds. Those Tein springs were also purchased on my last deployment as a cost efficient, (but less effective) alternative to Coil-overs. If you have any more questions or advice, just ask... Thanks guys.

-Willie.

·
Banned
6,622 Posts
OK, here we go... there have been a few changes, so I'm gonna try to lay it out.
My budget is 4600 dollars, which has all been accounted for with the mods i listed before. I am actually going to be getting a VF39 turbo, instead of the 20g, because i have read that it is a decent upgrade for the wrx, and can hold a significantly higher amount of boost than the stock turbo. The STI Injectors would work with this turbo, but i reached my budget before i got them on the list. The guy said he could get them and install them for 300 dollars, but that my car would still run fine with the stock injectors, but i really should upgrade if im looking for the power that i want, so i will do my best to come up with 300 dollars in the next week or two. The Cams, Valves, and valve springs have already been purchased, because when i threw the rod, i decided to get the parts on the inside of the engine forged, everything except pistons, because i was advised by a couple of mechs that my stock pistons should be fine, plus they are a little expensive. I looked at MFactory and just absolutely can't afford that. The good news is that i will be deploying to afghanistan early next year, so i am going to be able to get that then, or i might just go with an STI tranny. The turbo XS fmic was purchased while i was in Afghanistan before, simply because all the online forums said it was the FMIC to have if you wanted to keep your fog lights, and have the least amount of modification to your wrx. I got a deal on it, 769.99, so i purchased it. I am just having him install it for me, and he is only charging 50 bucks. As for the clutch, that has changed as well. I can't remember what the brand was, but it was a brand that i had heard of before. The way he explained it was, that since i needed a new clutch anyway, that i should get a Comp Iron disk clutch, that comes with some sort of valve that allows the "bite" of the clutch to be a lot softer, and not as sharp, so it would give me a much better chance of not ripping my tranny to shreds. Those Tein springs were also purchased on my last deployment as a cost efficient, (but less effective) alternative to Coil-overs. If you have any more questions or advice, just ask... Thanks guys.

-Willie.
Alright, here's my input. Rather than trying to cobble together a hard to read response, I'm just gonna list them in bullet points.

- VF39 is a much better choice. With the 20G you would want to get the pistons as well, but with the VF39 you don't need them. You can use your stock injectors, but under no circumstances would I ever recommend it. You're not going to benefit at all from that turbo without upgrading because even your stock turbo will max out the stock injectors. As for running STI injectors, only JDM Pinks and +07 STI injectors will fit. +06 WRX injectors will works well too. It's not that the STI turbo will run more higher boost (because the opposite is actually the case), it's that it flows a greater volume of air.

- $4,600 is nowhere near enough for what you're wanting. You're gonna end up spending almost that alone on the new engine built + the tune if you're having a shop do all the work. As for wanting an STI transmission, that alone will also take up your entire budget by itself.

- Sell the TXS FMIC and the Tein S-Techs. The FMIC is absolute overkill for what you will be doing with a VF turbo. From a performance standpoint, a TMIC would have been a better investment as you're not having to pressurize a core that's too big and several feet of extra piping. Your best bet is match your cooling abilities to your cooling needs. You got a great deal on it, now go sell if for more than you paid. As for the S-Techs, read: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1267918.

- Exedy makes great clutches as does ACT, though the ACT will be a little bit more harsh of the 2. The reason I poo poo'ed Clutchmaster earlier is because they don't offer the consistency in feel that other brands do.

- You're going all go and you're skipping the 2 most important things: brakes and suspension. Sway bars are the single best bang for the buck mod you can do to the car. Your brakes need some R&R as well with good pads, fluid, and better lines. And maybe an H6 rear upgrade.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts