Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
Haven't tackled this yet on my car. I only have 25k miles but I want to change it early, I just have that feeling :)
What fluid should I put in?
Should I do diffs at the same time?
What do I need to do it?
How much will it cost me in the long run?
Bud light or High life?
:cool:

Thanks!
Scott

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
The dealers use Valvoline 90wt M.T on Tranny and Rear diff.
(At least my dealer and others around KY.)

You dont change the front diff. is lubed by the tranny oil.

Alot of guys here use synthetics and use Redline,etc.

Do a quick search and you can find a bit more detail

Shotgun

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
ShotgunTC88 said:
The dealers use Valvoline 90wt M.T on Tranny and Rear diff.
(At least my dealer and others around KY.)

You dont change the front diff. is lubed by the tranny oil.

Alot of guys here use synthetics and use Redline,etc.

Do a quick search and you can find a bit more detail

Shotgun
Thank you for listing the type of oil the dealers use. I have read too much with too many people having problems with running synthetic fluid in their WRX transmissions. I already passed my 30K mile mark, and my tranny oil replacement is well overdue. My tranny works perfect and does not grind at all with the factory fluid. I was also going to post a thread asking this same question, but now I don't have to.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did do a little search but i wanted to get a little more "personal" with questions.
Neo i've heard mixed reviews, Motul and redline seem to be the fluids of choice?
Not neccisarily a thread to sticky but maybe we could get some compiled info here on trans/diff fluid :)
Scott

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
AtlanticTurbo said:
Hey guys
Haven't tackled this yet on my car. I only have 25k miles but I want to change it early, I just have that feeling :)
What fluid should I put in?
Should I do diffs at the same time?
What do I need to do it?
How much will it cost me in the long run?
Bud light or High life?
:cool:

Thanks!
Scott
Scott,
I recommend RedLine 75-90NS. You can do everything at the same time if you want. You need a tool set, varying larger MM sockets. A nice funnel for the tranny filling process wouldn't hurt. I think its piece of mind more than anything in the long run.

-Mike

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
KurleeDaddeeWRX said:
Thank you for listing the type of oil the dealers use. I have read too much with too many people having problems with running synthetic fluid in their WRX transmissions. I already passed my 30K mile mark, and my tranny oil replacement is well overdue. My tranny works perfect and does not grind at all with the factory fluid. I was also going to post a thread asking this same question, but now I don't have to.
Kurlee,

The reason I knew what the dealer used is that I went and bummed em out of 4qts. and watched em suck it right out of a new drum of Valvine dino 90wt!

I was thinkin they had some kind of magic sht seein how most dealers dont useally wanna tell ya.
(so they can hit ya up for that $90 job<g>)

Kinda freaked me as I dont really use Vavoline in my engine (usin Mobil 1 dino/hightemp).

I guess some Scoob's run better on the synthetic's M.T.F and some like the dino.

You will probably need a breaker bar or long handled socket wrench for the rear diff bolt, They are pretty tight.

I put a bit of Teflon tape on the diff. bolts to help em come out easier the next time.

Shotgun

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Re: Tranny Oil change time.. help!

MJU1983 said:
Scott,
I recommend RedLine 75-90NS. You can do everything at the same time if you want. You need a tool set, varying larger MM sockets. A nice funnel for the tranny filling process wouldn't hurt. I think its piece of mind more than anything in the long run.

-Mike
Thanks
They have it @ autozone/advanced auto im assuming? how much should I get, a gallon?
I think im just going to do the trans for now, I'm pretty low on cash and I don't think the rear diff needs it yet. I'm more worried about the trans right now anyway as it's had quite a beating in the past few months.

Thanks for the info guys :)
Scott

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Tranny Oil change time.. help!

AtlanticTurbo said:
Thanks
They have it @ autozone/advanced auto im assuming? how much should I get, a gallon?
I think im just going to do the trans for now, I'm pretty low on cash and I don't think the rear diff needs it yet. I'm more worried about the trans right now anyway as it's had quite a beating in the past few months.

Scott
I would go ahead and do the rear diff. while your doin the Tranny.

All that new metal wear off is floating around in there just as much as it is in the Tranny.................

SHotgun

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Tranny Oil change time.. help!

AtlanticTurbo said:
Thanks

Scott
It might take a bit more looking around than that. You can order it online (I believe Subaruparts.com carries it) or try a motorcycle shop.

Do the rear diff - it only takes one quart and the service interval is 30k miles. So it'll only cost you $8 or so and it's just about time.

You'll need 5 quarts for the tranny and rear diff.

C

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: Tranny Oil change time.. help!

GV27 said:
It might take a bit more looking around than that. You can order it online (I believe Subaruparts.com carries it) or try a motorcycle shop.

Do the rear diff - it only takes one quart and the service interval is 30k miles. So it'll only cost you $8 or so and it's just about time.

You'll need 5 quarts for the tranny and rear diff.

C
I can get the oil and everything I just need to find a brave supplier :p
5quarts? Excellent. Thanks a ton for the help everyone! Feel free to keep adding info but I think I should be good on this one for now :)
Scott

·
Registered
31 Posts
nothing wrong with using Synthetics, just don't use ones with limited slip additives in the tranny/front diff. That's why RedLine 75W90 NS is the choice. Mobil1 75/90 and the standard RedLine 75W90 fluid has limited slip additives so it's not a choice.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I have redline shockproof light in my rear diff. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
31 Posts
RedLine ShockProof, light, medium or heavy are especially beneficial for heavy loading of the diff when launching. The fluid has macroscopic pellets in it, according to the literature, that help shed the load on the ring and pinion teeth.
BTW, heavy ShockProof fluid has an effective viscosity of 75W250!
The rear in our WRX's can use almost type of fluid as long as it's least 75W90 or better.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm running a 50/50 mix of Valvoline Dino 75w90 and Redline 75w90NS. So far no grinds, feels smoother than the stock fluid.

Still can't get into first on a roll w/o double clutching, though.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Im using Mobil 75-90 in mine, and I just changed the fluid a few weeks ago. It actually seems to make a little more noise now than before.

I may try the NEO fluid. It was so easy to change the tranny fluid though, not hard at all. Just took time.

P.S. - Wear a mask and dirty clothes because not only does it splash a lot, it smells like hot garbage juice.

Miller High Life, its supposed to have less carbs, if you're into that...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mobil1 75w90 has limited slip additives and such, that's the complete opposite of what the synchros and dog gears in our trannys need. You will find that it feels fine in the summer when it's hot, but will feel horrible and be next to impossible to shift when very cold. Plus it is never good for the synchro engagement, hot or cold.

·
Registered
393 Posts
99OneLE said:
Mobil1 75w90 has limited slip additives and such, that's the complete opposite of what the synchros and dog gears in our trannys need. You will find that it feels fine in the summer when it's hot, but will feel horrible and be next to impossible to shift when very cold. Plus it is never good for the synchro engagement, hot or cold.
I am going to have to agree with you that the tranny felt a slight bit smoother, but not all that much. I don't think the engagement between gears is all that much better.

I asked my local suby dealership about mobil 1 synthetic 75w-90 and they said it was fine. I also had read that not only was it ok to use by other dealerships, but the people doing the fluid change had noticed great improvements in shifter feel.

Basically what you're saying is that mobil oil has extra additives that prevent synchro's from doing their job as well as usual? What makes the synchro's in our trannies different from say a porsche tranny which come with mobil 1 oil's?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts