ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I was driving down a pretty steep road, using some engine braking in 2nd/3rd and 4th gears. When the revs approached 3k-4k, it made a pretty bad groaning noise intermittently. This happened both on and off the throttle at these engine speeds. The A/C seemed to make it worse. The noise sounded like a hedge-trimmer running inside of a steel barrel...sort of freakish.

Anyway, I'm obviously not a n00b and have heard decel noise in my car and many others (totally normal).

So is this normal also? I've never heard of it and I'm concerned it may be rattling heat shields or something got hot inside of the tranny from riding down the mountain in gear.

:confused:

·
Registered
907 Posts
i would check all your head sheilding. when you say hedge trimmer...you mean like the gas or electric ones?

Loose tins is the only thing i can think of that would make that type of noise.

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, I guess more of an electric hedge trimmer noise. I just thought heat shields immediately because my old Integra had the infamous heat shield rattle when the RPM were pegged at about 3,500...and this sounds sort of similar. I'll have the dealer check it out next time I'm in there...

So I'm guessing there's no real danger/harm to your tranny in engine braking for several miles say in 3rd gear at ~3,000+ RPM? I just got concerned because it seemed only to start after doing that for a while.

·
Registered
907 Posts
if you arnt missfiring or throwing any cels, and you RPS are steady....I would see no problem in driving around. keep an eye on your temp guage....just incase it is a water pump problem.

·
Registered
16,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good advice...

By the way, how's the Suby dealer here in Tucson? (assuming you go there)

·
Registered
907 Posts
I actually havnt been to any subie dealers in Tucs yet, but i heard the good dealers are in Phox....you can check them out in tucs though i think they are on E. Broadway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts