ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 2005 wrx and I was going to start modding it but I would like to know at what hp does the tranny start givin me problems.

Planning on getting the following:
Cobb tbe with cat
Cobb access port
Cobb upipe and sf intake

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts
I have a stock 2005 wrx and I was going to start modding it but I would like to know at what hp does the tranny start givin me problems.

Planning on getting the following:
Cobb tbe with cat
Cobb access port
Cobb upipe and sf intake
that would be cobb stage 2 and the tranny should be fine there, unless you launch it. then again launching it stock could break the tranny, take it easy on the gears and they will treat you right.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
that would be cobb stage 2 and the tranny should be fine there, unless you launch it. then again launching it stock could break the tranny, take it easy on the gears and they will treat you right.
+1

Just don't launch or it won't last for long.

·
5,780 Posts
forgot to mention its a 4EAT... Am i still in the green? Thanks for quick replies guys
Oh... forget what we said your fine just don't neutral drop it.

i have no idea about 4EATs

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
300whp is safe on an 05 if you don't drive like an A$$

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great news thanks. This really is a very helpful forum and I don't think other car manufacturers have enthusiasts that can make a community like this

·
Registered
0 Posts
WRX transmissions arent as weak as people say, people have problems with them when launching and shifting hard or missing gears, it is possible to shear gears when driving if you have tons of power and torque but its not likely, just dont drive like an idiot and you will be fine

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Oh... forget what we said your fine just don't neutral drop it.

i have no idea about 4EATs
This is a bit of a different story...the 4EATs are actually known to be a little stronger than the traditional 5 speed glassbox's.

300hp is generally a good number to draw the red line at with the 5 speeds...so the 4EATs probably handle a bit more than that.

But basically with any tranny, if you treat it right, it will treat you right.

·
Banned
401 Posts
Heya I'm actually wondering the same thing. I have an 05 WRX as well. I'm wanting to first mod my exhaust then my intake. What are the first signs of your tranny failing on you?

·
5,780 Posts
Heya I'm actually wondering the same thing. I have an 05 WRX as well. I'm wanting to first mod my exhaust then my intake. What are the first signs of your tranny failing on you? And what's a good way to make sure it stays nice after modding..?
Welcome, you dont need an intake get exhaust and engine management :)

if you do not abuse your tranny it will not fail on you, there is no telling what the previous owner did to it though.

is it a 5speed or Auto?

·
Banned
401 Posts
I bought mine brand new! My warranty is almost up. It's a 5 speed.

·
5,780 Posts
Risquéru;2194712 said:
I bought mine brand new! My warranty is almost up. It's a 5 speed.
do you Launch it? Do you revmatch,on downshifts and upshifts? Trackdays? streetracing?

·
Banned
401 Posts
I don't think that I know what the term "to launch" means... lolol and I don't rev because... come on... I have a stock WRX... it's like a mouse driving beside you.. hehehe.. I mean I do race occasionally though. The only people who beat me are the V8's you know ooorrr modded out WRX's!! Haha I love playing with other WRX/STi drivers even if I am stock. ^.^

·
5,780 Posts
Risquéru;2194722 said:
I don't think that I know what the term "to launch" means... lolol and I don't rev because... come on... I have a stock WRX... it's like a mouse driving beside you.. hehehe.. I mean I do race occasionally though. The only people who beat me are the V8's you know ooorrr modded out WRX's!! Haha I love playing with other WRX/STi drivers even if I am stock. ^.^
launch is when you are stopped and you rev the engine up high and let the clutch out real fast resulting in a shock thru the transmission and the wrx speeding of pretty fast. this is how most people gain an advantage in their WRX

i wont do it because eventually it will end up costing 5grand for a new tranny

·
Banned
401 Posts
Wow noo... can't say I've ever done that. Sounds dangerous. My pooorrrr baby... I can't do that to her.

·
5,780 Posts
Risquéru;2194730 said:
Wow noo... can't say I've ever done that. Sounds dangerous. My pooorrrr baby... I can't do that to her.
Good :) Neither can i to mine. I do a my "granny" launch I rev to 3500rpm and slip the clutch :) much better than 5-6krpm

Best advice i can give regarding driving technique is when you want to take off fast out of first and second is to let the clutch take the abuse.

i do this by letting the clutch out slower than normal shifting because their is so much more power going thru the drivetrain at high revs compared to low.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Launching kills your 1st gear. Most people break 3rd with high power levels. Launching, if done correctly slipping the clutch isn't too bad on the trans. Of course if you're launching at ridiculously high RPMs that's another story...

·
5,780 Posts
Launching kills your 1st gear. Most people break 3rd with high power levels. Launching, if done correctly slipping the clutch isn't too bad on the trans. Of course if you're launching at ridiculously high RPMs that's another story...
True i slip 2nd but never 3rd i bet thats why people break that gear
interesting i had forgotten that.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts