ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the Cooler put on. Its the Hayden 403 model. Im pretty impressed with this thing. I didnt expect any gains just did it for more peace of mind, but i actually can feel in el butt dyno a better response and its a tad bit faster. Im not saying that this adds HP.....i think it just frees the HP lost due to heat soak. Best $40 ive spent on the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really simple.

Mount it on the right side radiator (if your looking at the car from the front).

Take off the skid guard. Up underneath on the drivers side front is where the stock hose is at. Take that off then tap into that with the supplied hose. Run it to the Cooler and then back to a the other plugin. Install took 1 hour. If i any pics id post them.

Basically your adding a new loop is all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
this may be a dumb question but i couldn't find the answer...do you only need a tranny cooler if you have an auto, or can you use it for a 5mt?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rmackay82 said:
this may be a dumb question but i couldn't find the answer...do you only need a tranny cooler if you have an auto, or can you use it for a 5mt?
Im sure you could.

WRXout said:
installed my fmic today and i fit my tranyn cooler behind it, where did you plug the tranny cooler up to, which hose on the radiator?
I dont know how to explain which one it is. If i had a pic id post it but i dont. If you take the skid card off youll see it. Its on the drivers side corner. You also have to take that tin piece out as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
did it come with instructions...

i think i want to install one fo these eventually. I switched to synthetic oil and added redline water wetter to the coolant. i want to up grade the front brakes and this tranny cooler sounds like that will be right up there at the top of the list.

On a s ide note has any of you guys put any additives to the tranny fluid like slick 50 or have done a swap of fluid for something else. i read that synthetic tranny fluid isnt good but i dont know why.

chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
WRXout said:
k lets say im looking at the 2 hoses is it the right one or left one? and do i have to connect anything to the tranny?
Its the left one. Look at where the stock hose goes. From which connection to the next.

Now look at this pic of the cooler. All your adding is a loop in the system.

http://skywarswrx.com/stl-web/gallery/2002WRX/Picture_371

So from the left one threw the cooler back to the other connector.

silver_rex_4eat said:


On a s ide note has any of you guys put any additives to the tranny fluid like slick 50 or have done a swap of fluid for something else. i read that synthetic tranny fluid isnt good but i dont know why.

chris
nope. Im not using synthetic in the tranny either. For the motor yes but tranny no.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
854 Posts
So Kris, Got a couple questions.

1. Did you have to remove anything for the install (fan, bumper, grill, ect.)?

2. And this hose that it connects with is pretty easy to find? Is there anything that helps identify it? I've never looked under there so I don't know what it looks like.

3. How long did it take you to install it and can I do it by myself?

4. And finally, how much fluid did you use and what kind (brand name and type, I know nothing about ATF)? I need a good recommendation.

Thanks man:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dont drag my car so i didnt use redline. I used Castrol Defron (or something) III.

Once you take the skid pad off you'll see the connection. Its the only one there.

Had to remove grill.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
854 Posts
skyjock41 said:
I dont drag my car so i didnt use redline. I used Castrol Defron (or something) III.

Once you take the skid pad off you'll see the connection. Its the only one there.

Had to remove grill.
Cool, I just never looked in that area before while I was under there. I never noticed the hose. How much ATF did you need to use to fill it back up?

One last question, my Hayden 405 has those ziptie-looking things that go through the radiator and condenser. Which way do they go through, front to back or from the engine bay through to the front? Also, You didn't have to take off the fans to mount? Or did you have enough room to work? Thanks again fellas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
04silver bullet said:
Cool, I just never looked in that area before while I was under there. I never noticed the hose. How much ATF did you need to use to fill it back up?

One last question, my Hayden 405 has those ziptie-looking things that go through the radiator and condenser. Which way do they go through, front to back or from the engine bay through to the front? Also, You didn't have to take off the fans to mount? Or did you have enough room to work? Thanks again fellas.
5 1/2 quarts.

take off the clamps that hold the fan/radiator in place. Then you can push it back. The zips go threw the front then you put the pad on after its threw the cooler then it continues on to threw the radiator to be met by the round thingAmajigs. Cut off access zip tie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,707 Posts
skyjock41 said:
5 1/2 quarts.

take off the clamps that hold the fan/radiator in place. Then you can push it back. The zips go threw the front then you put the pad on after its threw the cooler then it continues on to threw the radiator to be met by the round thingAmajigs. Cut off access zip tie.
what size hoses did you use? i posted a thread but noone answerd me :( someone please :sadwave:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,707 Posts
i want to see if i have enoguh tranny fluid, i have a tranny cooler and my tranny dipstick reads quarter of an inch above Full, do i have to fill up more?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
HI, I mounted my ATF cooler on the left (When facing the ride) and I have about a foot of extra tubing, would this have an effect on the efficiency of the cooler? I mounted the cooler in front of the radiator.. thanks guys
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
shouldn't

nero said:
HI, I mounted my ATF cooler on the left (When facing the ride) and I have about a foot of extra tubing, would this have an effect on the efficiency of the cooler? I mounted the cooler in front of the radiator.. thanks guys
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Thanks rpfride, I stuck my knuckles in to feel to heat discharge of the cooler.. not a very good idea, did not get burnt(took my hand away fast enough) but it was hot.. :) I drove 15000 miles without a cooler when I decided that I might as well void the warrenty, adding the cooler :tongue:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
do u guys have a modified torque converter? or just added the cooler? just wondering. do u also need to warm up ur car to operating temperature when u have the tranny cooler or can u just start the car, wait 1-2 min then drive it. thanx guys, maybe i should get one too
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top