ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a fluid change a few weeks ago along with a tranny cooler (I know I still have to write something up on the install) and put about 5.5 quarts of Dextron III back in. When hot and after shifting through D, 3, 2 and 1, the dipstick read pretty high, like a 3/4" above the top hole. I got a general concensus that a few people's read like that and never got a solid answer (that I remember alteast:redface: ) if that would hurt anything to leave it like that. Will it? And if I need to dump some, where should the correct amount read on the dipstick warm?

Well, I was scared out of my mind when to day I got on it from a stop and first gear almost redlined and held for about 2 seconds before shifting. And it slammed into 2nd gear causing a massive jerk. Scared the crap out of me:( :eek: !! Now I'm all freaked out. I tried to get on it hard again towards the end of my ride home from a stop and it seemed almost normal (I think, I'm all paranoid now). It ran first gear all the way to almost redline, about 6800 rpms and shifted pretty crisply. Do you think having to much fluid in the tranny could cause this, like over pressuring the tranny or something causing it to act up. Help someone please!!

·
Registered
677 Posts
My tranny acted like that back when I was out of fluid. I literally was running on empty for about a week, but only about 100 miles. It acted up and started slipping and then I wanted to check that it would shift right at redline so I floored it and it held first for a second or two all the while I was bouncing off the rev limiter.
Check that you arent leaking tranny fluid.

Please do the install on the tranny cooler, I've got one sitting in my room right now ready to install.

·
Registered
677 Posts
check the level of fluid in your transmission. You've got an FMIC so it should be easy. Look down in the engine bay behind the engine. The transmission has a dipstick on the drivers side of the tranny. Pull it out and check. The stick on the right side is for the differential and wont help at all.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
GTScoob said:
check the level of fluid in your transmission. You've got an FMIC so it should be easy. Look down in the engine bay behind the engine. The transmission has a dipstick on the drivers side of the tranny. Pull it out and check. The stick on the right side is for the differential and wont help at all.
lol oh noo! i mean like a visual of maybe where the tranny fluid is falling? cause i know its leaking i checked the dip stick :p

·
Registered
677 Posts
Well mine was leaking out of one of the three probe holes. The previous owner of my car had a tranny temp gauge and when he traded it in he plugged the whole up with a bolt and then the bolt came loose so I leaked. The whole tranny oil pan was covered with oil on the outside. Check all of your tranny cooler connections and then jack your car up and make sure the filter is on tight and search around for leaks.

Run your car by a generic mechanic place. Most will check for leaks for free. They'll throw your car up on a lift and check and see.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See, I know I'm not low on fluid at all. My problem is that there is too much in there according the tranny dipstick. I just wanna make sure that it won't hurt anything to have to much in there.
My tranny hasn't done the stick in first gear for an abnormal amount of time routine again so far but I am still a little concerned about this.

Fadi, Get a large piece of white paper or a old t-shirt and put it under your car. Make sure the car was just driven and warm. Let it sit for a few hours or longer. Come back out and check the paper/shirt for leaks and where they came from above. Check the color of the fluid. Obviously, red for tranny, Dark gold to brown for oil and light yellowish green for the diff. You should pinpoint it this way. Also like Scoob said, check for wetness under the car on different parts such as the pan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts