ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm brand new here, just got a 2012 WRX Limited with the G-d awful nav. I had a Curt a trailer hitch put on today as the picture shows. I've had roof racks on all of my cars for the last 20 years and I have parts on order to put them on this one, but I'm kind of enjoying the quiet sunroof and uncluttered top. The trailer hitch is primarily for a Thule bike rack. I took lots of pictures of the install, which was a major hassle, I'm glad I didn't try it in my driveway. If anyone would be interested to see I can post them, just respond here. Some pointers or an FAQ about posting multiple images to this forum would be great.

IMG_2553 small.jpg

-Ezra

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Why a trailer hitch on a wrx? i imagine it cant pull very much. But i will say its a first, i havent seen another one with this.

·
Registered
966 Posts
interesting, i was wondering if anyone had a trailer hitch on their wrx, this answers my question haha.
blackwrx, although you think it cant pull very much, it should still be able to get a quad or dirtbike, maybe even a jetski, to where the owner wants to ride it. right?

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
yeah i think it said like 1000 lbs towing capacity. I guess i just see towing things as big trailers or cars, something heavy. If its something small this should work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why a trailer hitch on a wrx? i imagine it cant pull very much. But i will say its a first, i havent seen another one with this.
I don't plan on towing anything, or if I did it would be one of the very small u-Haul type trailers to move a fridge or a dresser a few miles. It's for a hitch mount bike rack and one of those hitch mount trays. I'll post a picture later.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok that makes sense for the bike rack
Yes, as I mentioned in my first post, I've had roof racks on my cars for 25 years, I think I'm going to see how I like a naked roof and how much hassle it is to put the trailer rack on and off every weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Yes, as I mentioned in my first post, I've had roof racks on my cars for 25 years, I think I'm going to see how I like a naked roof and how much hassle it is to put the trailer rack on and off every weekend.
Woops missed that. I personally don't like the roof racks as far as looks go

·
Registered
966 Posts
aah, i was gunna say, doesnt subaru make a bike rack for the top, but you stated you would look to try a differtent way, good thing i read it twice. yea not many things that go on a trailer weigh less then 1klb so i see where your comin from, i saw an STi with a nice kawasaki 250 racing quad on a trailer behind it, looked pretty eye-catching haha

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing the detailed install pictures. I know you're not supposed to put a trailer hitch on an STI, but I don't see any reason why hauling a lightweight trailer would hurt the car any more than having a few heavy passengers in the back seat and/or a heavy load in the trunk. I've been wondering if I could tow my drift boat behind the car since the drift boat is only about 800-900 pounds including the trailer.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
From what I found online 1000-2000 lbs is what you can tow with a wrx or sti

·
Registered
48 Posts
I plan on doing this this summer!! a write up of this would be amazing. how much did the whole setup cost>? and how many hrs. did it take to install?

·
Registered
60 Posts
1000 lbs is the limit for a normal trailer. 2000 lbs if the trailer has trailer brakes. But then you are looking in to more wiring for the connector.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a 2004 WRX Wagon and pulled a motorcycle trailer w/ a heavy BMW GS up and down the hills in GA and NC. No prob...

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Yeah I looked online and seen other people use them for pulling smaller stuff

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I plan on doing this this summer!! a write up of this would be amazing. how much did the whole setup cost>? and how many hrs. did it take to install?
I bought this on-line on Tues afternoon, it showed up at my house, dropped shipped from Fresno CA on Wed. at 1. The hitch cost me $127.98 Shipped from hitchdepotusa.com I took it to a local hitch place, Hitch Masters in Van Nuys. I paid them $125.00 to install it. Which in my opinion was worth every penny. I could see trying to to this in my driveway with a buddy and spending many frustrating hours. I got the light kit for $48.00 more, but it was late by the time they were done so I'm going back another time for that, since I don't need it for my bike rack. The install with professionals, a lift and a well equipped shop took 3 hours.

I wanted to take more pics, but I was starting to get in the way and they were nice enough to let me in the work area in the first place. I think between my pics and the install pdf available from here http://www.curtmfg.com/masterlibrary/11120/installsheet/CM_11120_INS.PDF should get you pretty close if you want to try yourself or decide it's too much hassle.

This is really not a proper tutorial, I'm sorry.

Trim the fascia

Drop the exhaust and support it

There are 2 brackets that support the bumper fascia they need to come off.

Fish the vertical bolts and spacers through the horizontal frame rails with included wire

Fish the horizontal bolts and spacers through the bumper frame, this whole horizontal bumper bolt thing is the hard part. The guys who installed used some more flexible copper wire to go through the holes and then attached the included fish wire by twisting and wrapping with tape and pulled it through with the other wire.

Here's how they look when through

position the hitch in place trying not to push the horizontal bolts back through, though at this point it's not that big a deal since the wire is still on them, just don't let the wire disappear through the hole.

Put nuts on the vertical bolts so it holds the hitch in place.

Now the really tricky part.

You need to get the horizontal bolts in place through the hitch mounting holes not a big deal with 2 people and the wire still on, then pull the fish wire off and carefully thread a nut on without letting it drop back in. It's really tight and getting a hand or a wrench in there is a pain. You'll need a semi deep socket to torque it, a deep one won't fit and a shallow one will keep slipping off the nut because of how much bolt is sticking out.

Put the brackets back on, re-hang the exhaust and you're done.

Sorry there are no more pics of that part, but there was nothing to see because it was so tight

·
Registered
48 Posts
hey thanks for the write-up! bookmarked! I noticed the bumper was still on the entire time. Do you think if it was taken off it would speed up/make easier the install?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey thanks for the write-up! bookmarked! I noticed the bumper was still on the entire time. Do you think if it was taken off it would speed up/make easier the install?
I think it would have to stay on since the hitch bolts to it, are you thinking you'd bolt the hitch to the unattached bumper and then put the whole thing in place together? I honestly don't know if that would be easier or much more work, since I've never taken off or installed a WRX bumper.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts