Subaru WRX Forum banner

Trading 2011 WRX hatch for a modified 2012 wrx sedan.

4289 Views 88 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  zax
How's it going all. So I have a dilemma. my in-law works at dealership and took a 12 WRX on trade in at a few thousand under bluebook. It was said to have a stage 3 kit but based off engine pic I don't see it maybe you guys can help. It has some cosmetic upgrades and such but I have yet to go there to check the ins and outs. I have a stock 11 WRX hatch with a cart boy shift kit . Never dropped the hammer from a dead stop and maintain pretty well . I had a accident to the front but repaired . Both cars are just under 60,000 mi . My question is based off the pictures is this too risky to jump into (possible beat engine) or is the jump justified to lower payment by a hundred a month and a sedan. Pics coming
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 89 Posts
Attachments aren't working. Try uploading pictures to an external pic hosting website then pasting the link on here.

Without even seeing pictures, why would you want to trade a hatch that you know is in great condition, and unmolested for virtually the same car with unknown mods (usually big no-no) and unknown history on how it was driven and treated? I'm curious what your reasoning for even considering this is?
Mainly because I have two kids and can't get my wife too let me put mods in my hatch (money). And I think I could eat away a little negative equity. The car appears to have less body dings and chips that my car has. The owner is a friend of my wife's cousin I guess . He hit it big with a vape oil company he started and haven't driven in a year has a new raptor and apparently he just wanted to spend some cash .All new info as of post . I'm going to find out what he has in it hopefully . Just have to have my wife's cousin to inquire when he doesn't really care . Hater type
Has a new raptor and traded WRX in for Audi A6 s line
It has a COBB CAI.
Because he has a Grimmspeed licence plate bracket, I guess he at least has a BC solenoid from them (or also got the Turboback exhaust and DP from them).
The car looks clean and nice.

If I were you, I would check the under of the car, do a compression test and most importantly check the transmission (drive it).
At 60k miles, you are looking to a new clutch -especially if it was driven hard (due to more power).

Personally, the main concern is the ECU map that the car has and how long it ran in those settings. Who did it? Is it within safe ratios etc. are the questions you should try to find answers to.
Is the AP included? If not, do you have access to an AP? Just to see what the map the car has?
If all components are COBB and the map is an OTS Cobb one, pull the trigger.
Ya those were the questions i have. I asked if it came with a Cobb tuner and they had no idea . I could get home and the car could start to act like sloppy **** if he took that before trading in. Idk and surprised the dealer doesn't get the info or a itemized list. I have a chance to steal it for 17500 after the 500 dollar dealer fee. I have till tonight to pull the trigger or it goes through there processing and gets a sticker of 22 23 I would imagine if not slightly more. I just keep grinding my teeth at work. Looking at images I posted. My car.

Attachments

See less See more
Personally, if not spending money in the future is a goal of yours then I would let this pass. Unless you REALLY want it and can afford the potential of a rebuild in the future.... However, financially the swap does not make sense because by picking up that car and ditching your perfectly fine unmodified wrx you would be greatly increasing your risk of some sort of failure occurring.

It has a COBB CAI.
Because he has a Grimmspeed licence plate bracket, I guess he at least has a BC solenoid from them (or also got the Turboback exhaust and DP from them).
The car looks clean and nice.
I will add some things about the mods. All I see are a cat back exhaust, maybe a downpipe but I'm not sure because I can't tell if that's a turbo blanket or the stock heat shield on top of the turbo, Cobb intake WITHOUT THE AIRBOX (big no-no as it defeats the purpose of seeking colder air), And wiring for an amplifier likely for a subwoofer. There is no Grimmspeed boost control solenoid that I can see as that would be right on top in front of the intake manifold.

The stretched tires, blow off valve, light bar on a street car, intake with no airbox and sticker tell me exactly what kind of person modified this car. That being, the kind of person who doesn't give a **** about the life of their car and how it runs and likely beats the hell out of their car. Again, I wouldn't buy this car. But that's just me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
See less See more
Meh. It looks kind of hacked together to me, has a light bar, has an intake and no cobb tuner included...has a blow off valve... Too many unknowns, and the engine bay is dirty.. anyone who really cares about a car doesn't usually let a bay get to looking like that....I'd pass on it, especially since in the end you'll be able to get more money out of your super rare red hatch..... also, if the previous owner said it was "Stage 3".. who knows what they meant, because that's "SUPPOSED" to be a turbo swap, etc.

and @ Halidmardini, it clearly doesn't have a grimmspeed boost controller, the stock one is very clear in the engine bay picture, and my stock clutch on my last WRX was still holding strong @78K when I traded it in, and it was Stage 2+ Injectors, pump, EWG.....
The stretched tires, light bar on a street car, intake with no airbox and sticker tell me exactly what kind of person modified this car. That being, the kind of person who doesn't give a **** about the life of their car and how it runs and likely beats the hell out of their car. Again, I wouldn't buy this car. But that's just me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

haha, you must've been editing while I was replying. My thoughts exactly
haha, you must've been editing while I was replying. My thoughts exactly
Yeah, I went back and added that part. This car has fukboi written all over it.
Well I was consurned? a little about the car hence my post . I will go there now and take some closer looks and picks. I can rip the cheese off the car but I'll take a look . Post in bit. And I didn't know my red hatch was rare. Theres alot on internet so I assumed they were common. I would like to see the numbers couldn't find info on net.
Red is rare, and the hatch is now out of production, making it even more rare.

Looking and taking pictures is not going to help you with this car. We can tell you from the ones in question that the car is modified, and if it doesn't come with an Accessport, it's likely a "back to stock" job, or tuned without the original accessport. Both are a huge hassle to deal with.

You need a compression test for the health of the engine.

You'll need winter wheels and tires to keep from destroying the nice wheels that are on it.

Who knows what's going on with the aftermarket sound that appears to have been installed.

In the end it's your money, and your car, but I wouldn't even waste my time going to take pictures. The dealer is just going to tell you how awesome it is, hype it up, and you'll end up buying it, quite possibly having issues, and miss the one you have now.
Your hatch is rare because its a hatch. And red was a pretty rare color. They stopped producing hatchbacks after 2014, ever since the premium on the hatches has gone way up because people want them.

Also, WHY would you waste gas to go look at this car. I want to state why again for you but it has been said several times now. But here is a list....
-intake with no heat shield (so he bought half the intake and it is pointless)
-atmospheric blow off valve (this alone would make me walk the other direction)
-The engine bay is filthy and the car doesn't look like it was taken good care of mechanically

MY accusation on this, because the outside looks nice, is that the idiot that owned this before bought it to be cool. He wanted everyone around him to know he had a turbo'd car (hence the bov) and only cared about looks and nothing mechanical about this car. I would guess it was never tuned for the intake either.

WALK AWAY. Keep your hatch.
Why on Earth would you consider trading your unmodified, maintained, not abused car for the opposite of that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Full exhaust . Suspension really tight def lower. Exhaust was pretty quiet. Idled smooth. Pulled hard drive like a dream . When I turned key on before starting it had a what appeared to be a idle hum diff than my car

Attachments

See less See more
Tein coilovers are junk.

Don't get this car, you are wasting your time, you are coming out in bottom, you are getting screwed, you are being taken advantage of. Your car is substantially more valuable than that turd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
I hear you guys but the car drove so much better than mine. Hard to explain. Not a modded feel but a really tight luxury fell. M5 or Audi tightness. I did get a faint squeel from the turbo when I first put power in 2nd but ran it pretthard after with nothing
1 - 20 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.