ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
NH...Trade or sell?

Hey everyone, looking for some advise. I have a '04 WRX, black with the rear spoiler and boost gauge, 7k miles, w/ the 100k Suby warranty. mint. I want a '05 STi and wanted to get an idea if there is a general rule on whether you do better selling yourself or trading in? Is it dependant on the dealer or can I just not waste my time by trying to sell myself.

I know it is a general question but I hate buying/selling cars, just love to drive them.

Thanks for the help, Sean

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think generally, you'll get more for your vehicle if you sell it yourself, but this must be balanced with the PITA of actually doing it. You'll be recieving phone calls on it for weeks, people will want to come to your home at all hours to get a look at it, some will make appointments to see it and not show up, and EVERYBODY who expresses any interest will want to test drive it. Once you've got a buyer, they'll likely want you to finance it ("hey, can I just make payments to you?" or "mind if I just take over the payments?"), and God forbid something malfunctions on the vehicle after the sale, because if the tiniest little defect is found after the sale, the buyer will most certainly call you to let you know about it--and probably ask you to fix/repair/refund part or all of the purchase price. Headache city, in my book--especially when you could drop it off at a dealer and drive off in a new vehicle in a few hours or less.

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
Meh I have different outlooks on this....As long as it's Buyer beware and you are honest and inform the buyer of the problems (how many issues can an 04 with low miles have) you'll do fine. I just think the kick is when you tell someone it's ok and the next day the clutch goes out or something stupid happens.

I think it depends on where you live at that determines if you'll make more money off of it or not. I know here in maryland you wont find one advertised at less then 19 grand on a dealer lot and some private sellers want that also for low miles. If you dont ask to much you shouldnt be sitting on the car for to long anyway...used cheap low miles will go quick.

Just wondering about the sig...are you a officer somewhere? PM if you dont want to mention it here

1 - 4 of 4 Posts