Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help from you experienced track guys/gals. I am beginning to upgrade my '02WRX and plan to run it on a race track like Watkins Glen, Mid-Ohio, Lime Rock, Pocono etc. I'm confused on how best to set up a WRX. Most of the post and searches I've done seem to apply to street use and Off road rally racing. Something that sounds like fun and will have to try but, right now I will be running on asphalt. All my experience is from running big HP rear wheel drive cars on tracks like I mentioned.

The WRX will be upgraded with bigger turbo (PE1818 or 1820), TMIC, CAI, Sti injectors,fuel pump, turbo back exhaust,
Uppipe, guages, boost control, engine mgmt., wheels ,tires etc. Which brand still to be determined for most of it.

I need your help with recommended coilovers, sway bars, brake upgrade, stabilizers etc. geared for this environment. I realize this is a big question but its a start.

Your help and guidance is welcome!

·
Registered
480 Posts
I won't presume to comment on the coilovers, haven't gotten to that yet. As for your other suspension / brake concerns:

Rear sway bar is a very good upgrade. The Cusco rear bar, for example, comes with three stiffness settings which you can adjust to suit your preference, understeer -> neutral -> oversteer. You'll want solid end links to go with it. I still have the stock front swaybar, but others can pitch in on this topic. The rear strut tower brace is worthwhile. You won't see a huge difference but it helps a little. Consensus seems to be the front strut tower brace is not really needed.

Brakes. You'll need to upgrade the pads and fluid at the very least, stainless steel brake lines are also the way to go. For me, the jury is still very much out on just how much I can expect to get out of the stock 2-pot calipers. I'm giving it one final chance at the next track event with the EBC Redstuff pads, but I think the level of abrasiveness needed is going to be very hard on the stock rotors.

Your track plans certainly seem to be ambitious enough, and given the budget you've allocated for other mods, it would be a foolish economy not to install a big brake kit such as that offered by Stoptech.

There are a number of threads on this topic on this section of the forum. Check the Road Racing board as well. Between the two, there's a lot of folks here with technical knowledge superior to mine. Good luck with your upcoming season, and keep us posted how things go for you. Got any sponsors lined up ?

·
Registered
932 Posts
I'm making a trip out to Watkins Glen a priority next year.

I'll second Scooby Steve. I have both the front and rear Cusco sway bars and I found the rear to be too squirrelly on anything but the softest setting. I didn't feel much fade with my front OEM 4-pots, but that was at Lime Rock, where you only have to really brake hard once. Others with totally stock brakes didn't experience fade either. But with a tubro as big as the one you're contemplating, I'm sure you'd be entering turns much faster than the ~115-120 mph I was able to muster on the stock turbo. So bigger and better brakes is definitely a good idea.

All I can say about the coilovers is a couple of friends who drove a WRX with Tein RAs found that as the uphill slope leveled off, the car bounced nearly uncontrollably because the suspension travel was so short. However, that may be adjustable. Otherwise, they experienced little of the understeer I had with the stock suspension.

Have you thought of the STi suspension? Check out NASIOC's suspension forum's testimonials. People who switched from coilovers to the STi suspension had very positive things to say about it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts