Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys?

My WRX did a best of [email protected] at the track this past weekend. I was running 14.5-15psi with a Turbo XS boost controller along with an Injen CAI, and I unbolted the muffler section so I could hear the engine better. I launched at ~5000rpm slipping slightly to avoid too much driveline shock. The 60ft. on that pass was a 1.85. Shifted at 7k in 1st and 2nd. I shifted into 4th at 7200. I was trying to ride out 3rd but couldn't. The previous best I had was a [email protected] on a 1.92 60ft. riding out 3rd. However, it was colder out when I made that pass.

Are my times about right for what I have??

Thanks in advance,

Dale

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I'm impressed. I hope to get to 13.5 with my mods because I told someone it could be done. I run 16.5-17psi all the time in my car. I figure with some good fuel, I can hit my goal. I really have to get to the track!

-Jim

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim.

Have you had any trouble running that much boost on pump gas?? Do you have an EGT and air/fuel to monitor the engine? If so, what EGT are you seeing?

Thanks,

Dale

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
My car runs great on 93 octane. I don't have a Fuel/Air gauge or EGT gauge as of yet. It's my understanding that the real efficiency limit on the stock turbo is 17 psi. My gauge shows my boost held at .115 MPa at full throttle in fourth and fifth gear. That equates to about 16.7 psi. I see spikes just over that when accelerating hard, so I figure it's probably smacking 17 psi from time to time. I also have the best BOV money can buy (IMO) to instantly relieve the pressure pulse when I close the throttle. This boosts my confidence (no pun intended) in running these boost levels.

Turn you boost up to like 16psi and see if it does anything for your 1/4 time. You might be able to lose a tenth or more off of your ET.

-Jim

·
Registered
679 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:
My car runs great on 93 octane. I don't have a Fuel/Air gauge or EGT gauge as of yet. It's my understanding that the real efficiency limit on the stock turbo is 17 psi. My gauge shows my boost held at .115 MPa at full throttle in fourth and fifth gear. That equates to about 16.7 psi. I see spikes just over that when accelerating hard, so I figure it's probably smacking 17 psi from time to time. I also have the best BOV money can buy (IMO) to instantly relieve the pressure pulse when I close the throttle. This boosts my confidence (no pun intended) in running these boost levels.

Turn you boost up to like 16psi and see if it does anything for your 1/4 time. You might be able to lose a tenth or more off of your ET.

-Jim
the effeciency isn't just the psi, it's the cfm. The guys at SOA put a TINY turbo on our cars. Look at the compresssor map below. Our motor peaks at ~460cfm at a 2.2PR at 7K ans 16psi. Notice it steps WAY out of the effeciency range on the high end, even at stock boost levels (you can really feel it to).

·
Registered
679 Posts
Note: ignore the colored lines. Those are for a 3L motor.

just think of a line at ~2.19PR from 100-~450cfm.
-C

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
FYI, There's a group buy on PE1818 and 1820 turbos from God in the For Sale Forum: $1550 delivered. I wish I could justify the cost for my car, but I just don't have that kind of money right now. Plus, I would want the STi injectors, PE fuel pump, and uppipe to get the most out of the new turbo. It's a shame that the holidays are coming and I have to buy presents for OTHER PEOPLE instead of my selfish ass.

Hey TypeC:
When designing a 227hp AWD street car, didn't Subaru want to use the smallest turbo possible to minimize lag? I guess cost and emmissions were a major concerns as well.

-Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts