Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 bugeye with a s202 engine and currently I’m at 311whp/260wtq my suspension I’m currently running is Godspeed SS coilovers. I’m running the 4/2 pot calipers and street/track pads with steel
Braided lines.

I’m looking to optimize my suspension where it will be smooth on the street and awesome on the track. Currently my coilovers aren’t the best and want to change out to something different. I drive this car to and from work and compete 5-6 times a year.

What route should I go for suspension?

I’ve heard air lift performance is the way to go instead of coilovers, and upgrading the lateral links and bushings all around the car. I know sway bars are needed as well. Any information or recommendations would be highly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Æternum
15,516 Posts
What is your budget?

I would HIGHLY recommend you consider a setup like Koni Yellow struts and RCE Yellow springs -- this setup will run CIRCLES around that absolute trash you have on the car right now and be a much more tolerable ride as well.

If you are committed to coilovers (for some unknown reason), KW variant 3s or better IMO. Given the number of track days you run, I think my first suggestion is the best.

The air suspension suggestion is silly and I'm going to ignore that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is your budget?

I would HIGHLY recommend you consider a setup like Koni Yellow struts and RCE Yellow springs -- this setup will run CIRCLES around that absolute trash you have on the car right now and be a much more tolerable ride as well.

If you are committed to coilovers (for some unknown reason), KW variant 3s or better IMO. Given the number of track days you run, I think my first suggestion is the best.

The air suspension suggestion is silly and I'm going to ignore that.
The struts can they be used with adjustable pillow ball mounts?

·
Æternum
15,516 Posts
The struts can they be used with adjustable pillow ball mounts?

If you are referring to camber plates, yes. Koni Yellows use OEM housings.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are referring to camber plates, yes. Koni Yellows use OEM housings.
How is the ride on the koni struts smooth? Similar to oem? Because the bumps on Long Island are brutal especially because the pot holes are like craters

·
Æternum
15,516 Posts
How is the ride on the koni struts smooth? Similar to oem? Because the bumps on Long Island are brutal especially because the pot holes are like craters

Depends on which springs you pair them with. I can't find shock dyno plots for WRX applications, but you can see other applications like SW20 MR2, and they have a good progressive curve and linearity.

My wife had Koni Yellow struts on her old Mazdaspeed3 and they were much better matched for the Eibach springs than OEM struts.

The point is -- an underdamped or overdamped strut will give you a jarring ride either because the overdamped strut overreacts or the underdamped strut is too slow to react. Matching struts with spring rates is critical. This is something that garbage companies like Godspeed fail to R&D.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Depends on which springs you pair them with. I can't find shock dyno plots for WRX applications, but you can see other applications like SW20 MR2, and they have a good progressive curve and linearity.

My wife had Koni Yellow struts on her old Mazdaspeed3 and they were much better matched for the Eibach springs than OEM struts.

The point is -- an underdamped or overdamped strut will give you a jarring ride either because the overdamped strut overreacts or the underdamped strut is too slow to react. Matching struts with spring rates is critical. This is something that garbage companies like Godspeed fail to R&D.
A set of the struts is like 700 and the springs you recommended?

·
Æternum
15,516 Posts
A set of the struts is like 700 and the springs you recommended?

Racecomp Engineering : Racecomp Engineering Super Sport Street/Track Springs - Suspension - 02-07 Impreza WRX - Subaru

Give those guys a call -- they'll definitely sort you out. They may suggest alternatives to the Koni struts. You'll need to pick up a set of junkyard OEM struts to modify for the Konis though. Another alternative is Tokiko D-Specs, which are back in production. D-specs used to be all the rage, though I don't know how they are these days.

https://www.oakos.com/TOK-DSP-10.htm

That seems like a pretty solid deal. Hit up some of the vendors on this site and they'll set you straight.

One final thought -- it's more than just springs and struts, you'll want new tophats and probably camber plates. It starts to add up. You'll be looking at around $1600 when all is said and done.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Racecomp Engineering : Racecomp Engineering Super Sport Street/Track Springs - Suspension - 02-07 Impreza WRX - Subaru

Give those guys a call -- they'll definitely sort you out. They may suggest alternatives to the Koni struts. You'll need to pick up a set of junkyard OEM struts to modify for the Konis though. Another alternative is Tokiko D-Specs, which are back in production. D-specs used to be all the rage, though I don't know how they are these days.

https://www.oakos.com/TOK-DSP-10.htm

That seems like a pretty solid deal. Hit up some of the vendors on this site and they'll set you straight.

One final thought -- it's more than just springs and struts, you'll want new tophats and probably camber plates. It starts to add up. You'll be looking at around $1600 when all is said and done.
Thanks for all the intel. It won’t be till probably after tax season before I start throwing money into the car again. But all the information is appreciated

1 - 11 of 11 Posts