Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a set of used snow tires and rims but they did not come with TPMS sensors. I'm about ready to get them mounted, any recommendations of decent sensors? Should I even bother?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I bought a set of used snow tires and rims but they did not come with TPMS sensors. I'm about ready to get them mounted, any recommendations of decent sensors? Should I even bother?
Don't bother unless you really can't stand that light being on your dash. I can't justify its 160$ unless you get flat tires often or have leaks haha. I've ran my wheels all summer without TPMS sensors.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,596 Posts
It seems like the thing to do then would be to pick which season is longest in your area and use the existing TPMS sensors during that season, so that the light is on the least possible yearly. Interesting.

·
Pro Manscaper
14,901 Posts
Any self respecting car enthusiast (or just someone who pays good attention to maintenance) should keep an eye on their optimal tire pressures anyway...so I'd not waste the money.

I've seen people place electric tape over the light to make it easier to ignore.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
I actually like the idea of tire pressure monitoring by the car. But I hate the system on Subarus. My Buicks had a different system that had no sensors in/on the wheels. It was not as accurate and would only actuate the light when they got really low, but that was "good enough" for me and no sensors in the wheels to mess with. I do not have sensors in my winters.

·
Registered
53 Posts
From what I've heard, if you live in Vermont you WILL need them as inspections next year will not allow lights being lit in the dash. Gotta love the yoyo's in charge.

·
Registered
550 Posts
From what I've heard, if you live in Vermont you WILL need them as inspections next year will not allow lights being lit in the dash. Gotta love the yoyo's in charge.
Dumb question . . . as long as you swap back to the summer tires with the TPMS when it's time for the inspection, shouldn't this be a non-issue? Here in Maine we also have the annual inspection and I suspect having the TPMS light on would be a reason for failing the inspection, but since my car is due in May I typically have the summer tires with the TPMS back on at that point.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mine is due in the early spring so it MIGHT be an issue.

·
Pro Manscaper
14,901 Posts
Mine is due in the early spring so it MIGHT be an issue.
Take winters off, put summers on, inspect. Take summers off, put winters back on. I'd rather do that than spend an extra $160.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would do that but I don't have a spare set of rims yet (working on it).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Funny I asked the salesman if Subaru used TPMS valves or just went by a comparison of the wheel speed sensors like my GTI did and he told me they don't have TPMS sensors.........

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
Funny I asked the salesman if Subaru used TPMS valves or just went by a comparison of the wheel speed sensors like my GTI did and he told me they don't have TPMS sensors.........
How would that work. If all tires are equally low then the ecu is going to think they are good.

All newer cars have some sort of tpms. I believe it has been mandated

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
How would that work. If all tires are equally low then the ecu is going to think they are good.

All newer cars have some sort of tpms. I believe it has been mandated

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
True if all 4 tires were equally low, you wouldn't get a light. I have no idea how the law is written, but I know both my sport wagon and GTI were calculated through the wheel speed sensors. I had the joy of experiencing a flat on the wagon when a lady decided that she wanted to use the lane I was in giving me no choice but to move onto the shoulder. I saw something laying on the side of the road like a converter shield or something, but didn't have much of a choice but to run it over. About a quarter mile later, the lights and bells went off and sure enough, I had a flat RR.

I watched the tire shop mounting my new tires and the replaced the valve stems too. I even mentioned to him that I thought I might have the TPMS valves, and he told me that I didn't!

Remember VW is VERY good with computers, like on the diesels! LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts