ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of getting winter wheels from TireRack. Right now I am planning to get 16 inch steelies with Continental ExtremeWinterContacts or General Altimax Arctic's. Tirerack mentioned that my car has TPMS. Anyone have any experience with getting TPMS sensors through tirerack for their winter wheels?

FYI, TireRack says they are 315mHz frequency. I am no expert on these, but I am assuming that is the frequency Subaru uses for communication between the tire monitor modules and car

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
You will have to get them programmed by the dealer.Not sure but you may also have to get them reprogrammed each time your switch tires.Your dealer can confirm that for you.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Places like walmart being a tire rack dealer or expert tire, can also do it.. If you don't want to head to the dealer.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I bought my winter set with TPMS through tirerack, but I never actually got them set up to work with the car. I'll probably do it this winter though.

I'm still curious whether you'll need to reprogram the car to work with the tirerack sensors each time you swap the wheels, and also whether you need to reprogram them to work with stock sensors after they've been set to use the tirerack ones. Or, does it set it up so that it'll always recognize both those sensors and the stock ones going forward.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The TPMS will only recogize one set of sensors at a time so you will have to reprogram is every time you swap wheels.

·
Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers?
785 Posts
FWIW - I bought winter tires and rims through TireRack and skipped the TPMS. It does mean that I live with the little yellow light on the dash for 5 months, but as someone who actually checks his tire pressures I can live without the expense - and the hassle of having to get them reset each time I switch out. Also - a little black vinyl tape in the right spot makes the light easy to miss ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The TPMS will only recogize one set of sensors at a time so you will have to reprogram is every time you swap wheels.
If one removes their regular wheels, puts on steelies with no TPMS sensors for winter, and then puts on the original wheels again, there should be no problem right?

·
Registered
750 Posts
If one removes their regular wheels, puts on steelies with no TPMS sensors for winter, and then puts on the original wheels again, there should be no problem right?
No issue. The old sensors should be recognized.

Just to clarify concerns. I have TPMS sensors on both my winter wheels and summer wheels. Other tire shops can reprogram the TPMS sensors. I go to my local Discount Tire center to have my sensors reprogrammed for free after every seasonal swap.

·
Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers?
785 Posts
Absolutely correct.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sweet. Just wanted to make sure :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
The only problem is that the TPMS light on the dash will be on all winter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just bought tires and wheels from tirerack.com. Do we HAVE to get these programmed at a tire shop and/or the dealer? It's not possible to do on your own?

FWIW, I got the 205/50R17 General Altimax Arctic Studded Tires and 17x7.5 Sport Edition CE Bright Satin w/Machined Lip Wheels mounted and balanced w/TPMS installed for $1,263.21. Not bad I think... DTC wanted over $1500 out the door for the same.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Yea I skipped the TPMS when I got my winter wheels/tires. The little light doesn't bother me at all. Maybe if I actually end up getting a different set of wheels I would put them on, but for now idc really.

When you swap the stockies back on the system recognized the sensors immediately and the code goes away.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Nevermind... looking at getting this to do it myself: ATEQ TPMS Quickset Tool

Anyone live in Colorado that needs this as well?! I'd feel better about it if I could share it with folks!!
check with tirerack or whoever you are buying the tires from to see if the quickset tool works with a Subaru.I was told that I would have to go to the dealer to program the TPMS.

·
Registered
28 Posts
check with tirerack or whoever you are buying the tires from to see if the quickset tool works with a Subaru.I was told that I would have to go to the dealer to program the TPMS.
TireRack doesn't sell it anymore I guess. The guy I spoke with said he recommended it though if I could buy it somewhere else. According to the application chart on the ATEQ site it works for 2011 Imprezas. I think I'm going to take the leap of faith that it'll work for my 2011 WRX. Got quotes from two Subie dealers and an independent shop. The cheapest was ~$35 each time. Could recoup the $150 expense in ~2 years. Of course I'll want to check on their return policy before I buy it!

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
like many others ,I just live with the light on for a couple of months.I check my tire pressures every week.Some even resort to strategically placing a bit of electrical tape to not be bothered by the light.

·
Registered
28 Posts
like many others ,I just live with the light on for a couple of months.I check my tire pressures every week.Some even resort to strategically placing a bit of electrical tape to not be bothered by the light.
Yeah, my buddy lives with it on in his during the winter... I guess I'd be alright with that if it weren't for the fact that I already purchased the wheels with the new sensors installed in them. At this point it becomes either spend the money to pair up the sensors with the computer or have my $150 purchase (on the new sensors) go to waste! :) Grrr.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts