ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys

recently i bought a 2011 WRX. no downpipe, no CAI, only the SPT exhaust, which I love and some minor suspension mods.

I also am running the Cobb stage 1 tune. also noticed a huge difference. However the access port i purchased (used) came with both the TP stage 1 and stage 2 tunes on there.

I just today purchased both a downpipe and intake from Cobb. I am ready to go stage 2 after extensive research on Cobb's website. However, when I loaded up the AP to take a look at some readings etc. i noticed the TP tunes on there, contacted the seller and he reminded me that he told me it came with them. Clearly at the time I had no idea what he was talking about. I have done some poking around here and have seen that people have spoken very highly of these maps.

My question is should I use the TP tune over the Cobb tune. Or better yet, why should I, and is there any adverse affect to using one over the other. please keep in mind, im not racing, not AutoX. I just want to squeeze as much as I can out of that turbo. Any thoughts, feed back would be much appreciated! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I've also heard great thing about Eric at TP. First thing I would do I'd contact him to make sure the tunes you have are compatible with your car and your mods. They may be tunes made for the previous owner of the AP and should not be used on your car. On the other hand, if they are TP off the shelf maps that he sells online, they are quite a bit better than COBB's maps and perfectly safe to run on your car.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Every car reacts differently to a base map. Try them both, datalogging each. Make an informed decision rather than random Internet coinflips. I've never datalogged TP maps, but I have had Cobb maps pull timing repeatedly.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well I spoke with Eric... He made a few really valid points

1. I am getting the COBB CAI - his map for it just came out
2. I am basically taking money out of his pocket by using these maps that may or may not be ok then essentially asking him to support it. I'm not ok with that and I'm certain, while he would help me tune it, in the long run wouldn't be ok with it either

I'll go Cobb first then try his tunes for sure!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have tried both of these maps for about 2 weeks at a time. The Cobb Stage1+93 is a huge improvement over stock. After running it for a while, I was having some underboosting problems and tried the high wastegate map, but then I was over boosting. So I decided to try out the TP maps and I have to say that it felt much better on my car. The power was snappier and seemed to put you back in the seat more than the Cobb map. After running it for a while, I went back to the Cobb map just to see if I could tell a difference and I have to say that the Cobb was a little better for drivability. All in all they are great maps, but I went back to the TP because I liked the way the power felt compared to the Cobb.

Reading on a forum isn't going to tell you which you would like more, or which would work better on YOUR car. Just go out and experience them both for yourself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You need to make sure the TP maps are compatible with the mods on your car before you run them. Specifically for the CAI as that part has the most affect on Air Fuel Ratio and over/undershooting Boost Targets when it comes to OTS maps.

I certainly would not run the TP maps with the new Cobb SF intake. The Cobb intake has about a 20% larger diameter than the stock and most aftermarket intakes. Run the TP map with that intake and you will be nice and lean under high boost and that leads to broken pistons.

·
Registered
19 Posts
TP now supports the Cobb SF intake.
As long as he can verify that the TP tune on the AP was calibrated for the Cobb SF intake he will be fine. Otherwise he will need to contact TP and purchase the appropriate map. You cant just assume any TP map will work with any intake.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Even tho I do not agree with the "it's pulling money out of his pockets statement" because he tuned a car, he got money for that tune.. The previous owner removed it from that car and now your wanting to use it.. Is essentially the same as it still being installed on another car..

HOWEVER like stated above each car is different, I'd run the Cobb map til you can afford your own pro tune.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts