1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(08:30 July 19, 2004)
Toyota will drop Celica, MR2 Spyder in U.S. after 2005

By MARK RECHTIN | Automotive News

U.S. sales of the Toyota Celica and MR2 Spyder, above, have declined in the past four years. Toyota is dropping both models.

LOS ANGELES -- Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc. will delete two models that were part of its strategy to lure young buyers to the brand.

After 2005, Toyota no longer will sell the Celica coupe or MR2 Spyder convertible in America, Toyota said.

The MR2 Spyder and redesigned Celica arrived in spring 2000 as part of the launch of Toyota's so-called Genesis project, a precursor to the Scion youth brand. But coupe and convertible buyers are traditionally fickle, and the Toyota nameplates stumbled.

Celica's U.S. sales hit 52,406 units in 2000, but dropped sharply to just 14,856 last year. Sales from January through June fell 33.4 percent compared with the year-ago period. Celica sales also were expected to be hurt with the arrival of the Scion tC coupe this year.

The midengine, rear-drive MR2 Spyder suffered from lack of cargo space and never took off in America. Toyota sold just 7,233 units in the United States in its debut year, and fewer than 3,000 were sold last year.

Celica production will cease at the end of July 2005. Production of the Celica will be about 500 units a month through this December, then about 250 through July 2005.

Approximately 200 MR2s will be produced monthly for the United States until January. Both nameplates are built in Japan.
They dropped the only 2 Toyota cars I would consider buying. :confused: Instead of dropping the MR2, why not add some cargo space?

-snowcat

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
well first off the mr2 i hate!

Them dropping these two models means that maybe a turbo car is in the making....supra?

Just a guess

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
***biGRed*** said:
reborn as scion's?
thats what i was thinking also, most likely going to have a two door sporty car with a fake hoodscoop

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
the celica is a pretty good car. I just cant believe that the sales on it dropped that much :eek:

I think the celica should run a more powerful option, that is the old school 4-trac design (awd) and possibly a turbo option.

as for the mr2: the car is ugly as hell, but is probably one of the best handling cars on the road stock. but its just too small, and not powerful enough. I think they should STRONGLY consider bringing back the mr2 Tcoupe. that could replace the celica. having an MR2 coupe with RWD or AWD and then having a turbo pushing around 250hp or so.

the old mr2 turbo's are AMAZING.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
so does that mean their are NO "sport" cars from toyota after this right now?

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
DTR rex said:
the celica is a pretty good car. I just cant believe that the sales on it dropped that much :eek:

I think the celica should run a more powerful option, that is the old school 4-trac design (awd) and possibly a turbo option.

as for the mr2: the car is ugly as hell, but is probably one of the best handling cars on the road stock. but its just too small, and not powerful enough. I think they should STRONGLY consider bringing back the mr2 Tcoupe. that could replace the celica. having an MR2 coupe with RWD or AWD and then having a turbo pushing around 250hp or so.

the old mr2 turbo's are AMAZING.
I agree with all of that. My sister has a Celica GT; not an amazing car, but a solid "sporty" option for those in that price range.

And I had a 2nd Generation MR2 T before my WRX. I loved that car, it was like riding around in my own little Ferrari. It performed quite well.

·
48,699 Posts
ebr0t said:
;pictures ray driving around the infamous lamarosa:
:confused:
Really searching for the insults these days, hunh Eli?:)

·
Registered
630 Posts
I think booring is what killed these two. Many other sports compacts are upping the power with forced induction. Toyota hasn't sold a turbo'd small car here for a looooong time. Those old MR-2's are great.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
From a Toyota insider, don't hold your breath on the Supra coming back. There where rumors of it getting the new 4.0 liter v6, with a v-8 option, rumors that it would look like the hybrid super car they have called the vultra(sp?). Fact is they are rumors. Toyota is investing it's money where the market is, Trucks and SUVs. They keep the popular cars going, but there is such a small niche for the Supra, as of now, its not worth thier time. Plus leaving the inline 6 and going v would be a disapointment.

·
Registered
677 Posts
That sucks about the MR2s and Celicas. I dont really like Celicas, but having a mid-engined car available to the masses was a nice little niche for toyota. They should have released the MR2 with the Celica GTS engine. A buddy of mine had a video of a GTS swapped Mister 2 that was annihilating an Integra Type R (RSX body style) on a racetrack. It would just be like a poor man's Lotus Elise. I've heard rumors of a kid around my area planning on doing the swap but I'll believe it when I see it.
Toyota's are just too damn boring now. They need to come out with a cheap sports car to compete with the 350Z and have a luxo version a la G35.

·
48,699 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts