ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was driving home with wife and family when this Black Toyota Celica with a TRD badge zooms by me and tries to f with me. I first decided to let it be, you know, with wife and all but then the sticker in the back window that said blo me kind of stuck into me a tad. Well we both came to a stop and the machoism got the best of me. Let me just say I did blo him or should I say blew by him. Wasn't even a challenge. I was 2 lengths up in no time and cut off about 50. First real race I had since I got the wagon

2002 WRX Wagon
Black
MBC
K&N
Short Shifter

·
Registered
167 Posts
hehe nice kill

·
Registered
319 Posts
Them Celica GTS and RSX-S guys never learn. :eek:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Why do they even try us, are they stupid or something????

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am not at all impressed w/ the new celica, i have a friend that has a GT-S and has had numerous tranny issues. 6spd of course. the dealership told him that he shouldnt take it above 6grand. I laughed, as thats just around when the VVT-I kicks in. Also newcelica.org alot of the owners have had the same problems as well. The funny thing about the VVT-I is that the gearing in the car is so bad that you really have to know when to shift otherwise it falls right out of the power band and you can walk away. I am starting to like the new toyota Matrix thats coming out. w/ AWD unfortunately its the lower of the models w/ only 140hp, no doubt they will have turbos for 'em or SC's which could make em really nice. I take out the GT-S's in my 97 NT Talon. HAHA....!!!! :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,475 Posts
Heh they're not stupid, i'm sure they're just like us out to have fun u know? Kind of like us trying to race S4s and M3s... but the blo me thing is kinda stupid. Good kill, i'm sure you lowered that sucker's self esteem enough to think towice about messing with someone who drives a wagon :)

·
Thinking Man's Engine
3,013 Posts
So far I know West Covina Toyota is developing a turbo for the 1ZZ-FE motor (6 psi of max boost). XE-Engineering is developing one also. Rumor is that Toysport makes one also. E.L. Prototypes may be making on also.

Just a quick thing, The GTS motor has VVTL-i, second cam profile. With the gearing, you got to stay on the redline to keep it on the big cam. THe Matrix makes the problems worse with taller tires, affecting the final drive ratio (I think it's final drive).

·
4,769 Posts
I think those Celicas look bad ass! I saw a whiite one the other day and my jaw dropped as to how cool looking it is. Too bad they are so slow though. they should have made a GT-4 edition AWD Turbo. Sigh. . .
I actually ran across a GTS 6 speed whop wanted to race IN THE RAIN!!! You can imagine how badly I spanked him.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I think those Celicas look bad ass! I saw a whiite one the other day and my jaw dropped as to how cool looking it is. Too bad they are so slow though.
Exactly. If the celica wasn't so slow that would be the car I would get. I wish it was like the GT4. Bring it back. The GT4 would be compeition for the WRX. If toyota would have brought that car back in 2001 I bet we would not have half of the wrx owners we have today. And that body is drop dead gorgeous.

·
Thinking Man's Engine
3,013 Posts
Too bad the "ZZT" celicas are based from the lighter, less expensive Corolla platform, eliminating the chance of using the 3S-GTE engine. THe only thing Toyota could do now is to make a turbo RAV4 engine and put it in there (or just turbo the RAV4 motor, and put a "G" head in there).

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
My sister really wanted a Celica GT (like every girl I know) until we sat down and looked at how much they cost. They have to be one of the worst bang-for-the-buck rice rockets you can buy. The GT-S is the only one with any power and it's about as much as a WRX. Add to this the fact that it is useless for anything except driving you and one passenger with a weekend's worth of luggage and I say forget about it.

I'm so glad I was able to talk her into the Sentra SE-R. It's a much nicer all around car and cost less than $18,000.

-Jim

·
Thinking Man's Engine
3,013 Posts
The only gripe with the Celica GT I have is, rear drum brakes. I'm not going back to rear drum brakes, especially a $20,000 car

·
Registered
172 Posts
The TRD Celica's are all show, some handling, and very little power.

The TRD Camry's and Solara's are different though. With the Dealer installed S/C they can be a lot of fun, with loads of off the line torque. But talk about traction problems and torque steer though.

But 240 stock and 260-280 with the smaller s/c pulley's isn't bad.

·
Thinking Man's Engine
3,013 Posts
The 240 bhp on the TRD Camry/Solara/Sienna is measured at the wheels. At the crank, it's around (figuring 20% loss) it's around 288 bhp @ 6500rpm, with about just as much torque.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yep, 240 is whp on some of the S/C'ed Solaras I've seen. I've gotten something lower than that, but I still consider it pretty fun and fast. I'm just waiting to find a 5sp WRX that would race on a rolling start. ;)
I've been reading this forum for a while now cuz I'm doing some research for a friend of mine. He got a WRX and doesn't know much about fixing it up so I'm doing the research for him. Great forum btw and so far, I'm fascinated with your cars! I did wish that my friend listened to me and got a manual instead of the auto though, but it was still pretty fun to drive on the freeway.
Anyway, don't underestimate a S/C'ed Camry or Solara 5sp... they can surprise you. Of course, you never have to worry about losing to one off the line... just yet. We have major wheel hop off the line and takes a while to get the big car rolling. Anyway, just fyi...

·
Thinking Man's Engine
3,013 Posts
I drive a 1988.5 Camry V6 5-speed (first year for the V6 in the Camry in the US). PlatinumWRX driven my car before a few years ago, back in his Olds Toronado days.

The 240 whp also comes from the TRD Cotton guaze filter & TRD muffler. Normally in N/A cars, those stuff will do jack for power. But with forced induction, I probably estimate a total of 10 whp gain (being optimistic). What did you dyno at? (5-speed or automatic)

Have you tried the LSD from Kazuma for around $1000 plus install?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I dyno'ed at around 222whp but it was around 93 degrees, so that could've made a difference. I do know that my friend with the 241whp has yet to beat me in a drag race though. ;) Anyway, right now, he's waiting for the TRD lsd to come in and install that and his new clutch so he should be able to beat me then. But as for me, I don't exactly have the cash to dish out a thousand bucks for a lsd and around 600 for installation. With that money, I'd opt for a body kit or some lightweight wheels and stickier tires (my 18 inchers with tires weigh in at a hefty 55lbs!). But I do plan to finish off the car with the lsd probably from Quaife. I think that's the one I would go for. And I have a 5sp btw.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ill agree with some of you but the celica does have performance if you know how to drive it.
its capable of 14.3's with just a cold air intake and unbolting the exhaust.
quite a bit of people have hit 14.4's and 14.5's.
i think its pretty fast if you run mid 14's dont you(especially from an 1.8L NA engine)
people running a 50 shot of nos are in the mid 13's and ive seen a 13.1 with that 50 shot too(no bullsh*t).
i have no problems staying about 6k(the second cam).
people that have these cars that are driving like crap dont know how to drive the car to its maximum.
a guy over on newcelica.org has video of his gts getting a 14.1.
his names billybun and he has intake,exhaust,lsd(3 mods for 14.1's is awesome.
give me feedback to what you guys think???
not trying to make this ugly just talking and explaning things.
there's are some turbo's and superchargers that are comming out that will make this car a beast.

·
2,472 Posts
14.1,14.3...great, but it'll cost yah a fortune to get there. wrx can hit that stock or w/ mbc. ok well maybe not a fortune, but the celica stock costs as much as a wrx stock.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts