Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the towing capacity of the WRX is 2000lbs.

Has anyone towed anything with the car?

I am wondering what the effects would be of towing about 2100-2200lbs.

This would be towing a small trailer and my track car. I live in the midwest so no mountains or anything.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
My first question is: Five speed or Automatic tranny?

The auto should easily handle 2100lbs, but don't go above like 2/3 throttle or you might want a tranny cooler.

The 5 speed will require a little more skill ass a driver to avoid a smoked clutch.

Both of these statements are taking into consideration that you encounter nothing more than a 10% grade to or from the track.

Why isn't your WRX your track car? Why don't you buy a cheap Ford or Chevy pickup to haul your racer with?

-Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim

My current vehicles are a '96 Teg GSR (modded and daily driver) and a '00 S2000 (modded and current track car).

I am buying a "real" track car (not street legal) so I need something to tow it with.

I have found a trailer that weighs in at 400lbs and my track car will be in neighborhood of 1700lbs. So total of 2100lbs.

I can't see having 4 vehicles so I want to get a vehicle that I can tow the trailer with as my daily. I don't want a truck for my daily so that led me to the WRX. I would love this for performance and the 4wd for the midwest winters. If I had space to keep a truck I would get that as a tow/winter vehicle and drive the Teg in the summers, but I don't really have the space for that.

The car would most likely be a 5-speed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts