ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am in the process of painting my stock tow hook and ordered another. I was wondering if anyone has maybe drilled a hole in the plastic cover so that it would serve as kind of a trim piece? Most of the ones online are not functional and 5x the price of the original.
Any thoughts?

·
Æternum
20,335 Posts
You are talking about the front tow hook?

The trim piece is cheap should you need a new one, so what's there to lose?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are talking about the front tow hook?

The trim piece is cheap should you need a new one, so what's there to lose?
The car does not come with a trim piece. It comes with the plastic cover only. So are you telling me that I can put the tow hook through the stock cover without a hole?

·
Æternum
20,335 Posts
Sure, if you draw differentiation between "cover" and "trim piece," your point stands.

I agree your assessment -- you could drill a hole in the "cover" and put the hook through. If it gets buggered, you can easily source a replacement.

·
Premium Member
10,557 Posts
Why put a hole in the cover so stuff can get in there when the car isn't strapped to a trailer?

·
Æternum
20,335 Posts
I think OP is interested in running a tow hook all the time.

You know, for the 'Gram.

We cannot judge personal preference.

·
Premium Member
10,557 Posts
Ah, I totally spaced. Yeah I would buy a cheapo factory one and fit it around your tow hook, get a rubber insulator or gasket to fit around the cut out to keep it from rubbing through the aluminum tow bar

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks I appreciate the advice. Yes I intend to leave the hooks on there. And no it’s not for the gram or whatever that means. That would be spending $160 each for something that looks good and does not function. My car just got towed and it scratched my bumper. I don’t see the point in taking it off and on.

·
Premium Member
10,557 Posts
Be warned many aftermarket tow hooks will either need replaced, or break after one use. They are not for repeated use. It's to pull a vehicle onto and tie the vehicle down to a trailer, or an emergency. They also will not prevent the vehicle from being damaged.

It is an item I would definitely not leave on my car personally, but then again I've got a jeep with 5 d shackles and a winch cable hanging from it 24-7 so who am i.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Be warned many aftermarket tow hooks will either need replaced, or break after one use. They are not for repeated use. It's to pull a vehicle onto and tie the vehicle down to a trailer, or an emergency. They also will not prevent the vehicle from being damaged.

It is an item I would definitely not leave on my car personally, but then again I've got a jeep with 5 d shackles and a winch cable hanging from it 24-7 so who am i.
I am using the stock ones and I’m painted them to not look as ridiculous. The aftermarket ones look cool but most say that you can’t tow with them.

·
Premium Member
10,557 Posts
The usual legitimate use of the aftermarket ones is to yank your shitbox out of the sand or off of the stack of tires when you come in too hot on a corner because life isn't Gran Turismo.

Personally, when i am going to yank someone out of something I'd prefer something that's part of the frame on both vehicles. Sadly life isn't perfect and it's not always an option. It brings me back to a point trying to pull a shrub stump out with a buddies dodge and it physically yanked the bumper crooked because the tow hooks were just bolted to the end of the frame cap, and held the bumper.

Shame because that 98 Cummins was peerless with zero rust or paint fade and not douche broed out.

I would certainly be aware of the limitations of the factory tow hook and be familiar with other options for recovery when it goes south. If you are lucky enough you live somewhere with a "road crew" that cruise around pulling vehicles back to the road when they slide off in the winter. Most do it for the love of it, others as a peen measuring show of superiority.

Either way, those hillbillies know how to get unstuck.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,826 Posts
Not “hillbillies.”

“Elevation Williams.”

Anyway, if OP plans to break down or crash a lot I suppose it makes sense to have ready access to a tow hook. However I’d not leave one attached anyway; at that point, the car isn’t going anywhere on schedule so a few more moments won’t make any difference.

If drilling the cap I’d be really tempted to fit a grommet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got 2 grommets. They are actually for an oil gauge for something however they fit perfect. I also got new tow hooks covers from the dealer, they are black. Everything seems to be working fine as far as the back. I haven’t put the front on yet. However it looks amazing and I can’t wait to send the pics so you can see how dumb you sound.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got 2 grommets. They are actually for an oil gauge for something however they fit perfect. I also got new tow hooks covers from the dealer, they are black. Everything seems to be working fine as far as the back. I haven’t put the front on yet. However it looks amazing and I can’t wait to send the pics so you can see how dumb you sound.
And to be honest with everyone, I know several people with trucks and jeeps. I don’t tell my truck friends they are dumb bc they keep their hitches in. I don’t tell the Jeep people they are dumb for the shackles they keep on. I would be a dumbass if I told them that they are dumb for not taking them on and off as needed as to not offend bigger dumbasses.

·
Premium Member
10,557 Posts
And to be honest with everyone, I know several people with trucks and jeeps. I don’t tell my truck friends they are dumb bc they keep their hitches in. I don’t tell the Jeep people they are dumb for the shackles they keep on. I would be a dumbass if I told them that they are dumb for not taking them on and off as needed as to not offend bigger dumbasses.
I own a jeep, and actually have owned many. 2000 xj, 97zj, 02 wj, 2011 2012 and 2013 jk. I call jeep owners they are dumb for stuff all the time. Led headlights, colored diff covers, every single tacticool piece of garbage they bolt to them.

I get told I'm stupid for leaving my d rings on, calling them d rings and not shackles, or calling them shackles and not clevises or calling them clevis and not d rings, not covering my spot lights, keeping my steering stabilizer on, owning a fake jeep because it's not a yj, CJ, xj, whatever j, owning a hard top, owning a 4 door, blah blah blah. It's part of the automotive community. Enjoy the heat and roll with it or just don't participate.

Getting roasted for your mods has been around since the caveman first slapped a gt wing on his brontosaurus and hit the strip.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got it all finished this morning. They will be vertical when my shackles come in which are black on black.
E9987FD0-6AC6-49A3-9D1B-ABAE6C4C5484.jpeg
CD5242BC-A5E0-4F43-9C64-2E26045AA466.jpeg
A58172B2-D34D-4727-8146-C162D0129633.jpeg
F2AC1615-DDC3-4A40-88A3-D0622DB2942A.jpeg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I’m going to paint my calipers the same yellow enamel if this quarantine don’t end soon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts