ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, bought the car three months ago and i totalled it tuesday night. car got really messed up, my girlfriend was in there with me. I was going down a back road near my house at about 55 (SL is 35, ill admit that i was speeding)...and then out of nowhere a deer comes out from somoeone's driveway, i swerve to miss it and end up losing control and spinning into a telephone pole at a relatively high rate of speed. my car is completely messed, ill post pics later but yeah, it's really quite lucky that we both walked away with only minor cuts and bruises....thank god for subaru safety, ill tell you that.

·
Registered
907 Posts
If your going fast, and a deer runs in front of you Do'nt swerve! 90% of the time you will lose control! and then itsa a single car accident that is your fault! Hit the damn deer, cause what ever damages it causes is coverd by insurance under the act of god policy.

Glad your ok !

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
ALT+F4 said:
If your going fast, and a deer runs in front of you Do'nt swerve! 90% of the time you will lose control! and then itsa a single car accident that is your fault! Hit the damn deer, cause what ever damages it causes is coverd by insurance under the act of god policy.
+1

·
Registered
0 Posts
Glad you're OK! Too bad about the car. And as others have said, next time take your chances with the deer, they're softer than trees and telephone poles.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Racenut3.0 said:
Glad you're OK! Too bad about the car. And as others have said, next time take your chances with the deer, they're softer than trees and telephone poles.
thats a terrible thing to say. i aint some deer lover but its still a living thing.

seriously racenut, are you telling me you wont swerve when something gets in front of you and just take the blow. human instinct.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
express_wagon said:
thats a terrible thing to say. i aint some deer lover but its still a living thing.

seriously racenut, are you telling me you wont swerve when something gets in front of you and just take the blow. human instinct.
What if the light pole had fallen on a house and killed a child. What if he had wrapped the car around that pole and killed his girlfriend. Now the fuzzy little deer doesn't seem to precious, does it? You're supposed to hit the brakes and the horn, and stay in your lane, even if it means hitting the deer. If you do hit the deer, it's on the insurance company: act of God, no rate hike. If you decide to swerve and destroy your car, or damage someone's property, or kill someone, it's ALL ON YOU.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
FilMaNutts said:
if it would have been a deer....i would have hit it instead of taking my chances.

Sounds good in theory, but it's hard to say exactly what anyone will do when things like this happen. Instinct says to swerve to avoid, it all depends if you have the split second of time to remember to hit it and take the impact. just my .02 cents.

alex g.

·
Registered
0 Posts
express_wagon said:

I will swerve a little if I can, but I will not risk losing control of my car over a deer, or any animal for that matter. Losing control is just that..... you no longer have any control of what happens. I'd rather hit the deer than wrap myself or a loved one around a pole or tree. I guess I'm selfish that way.

My life > Deer :)

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
ALT+F4 said:

Glad your ok !
ehhhhhhhhhh..... I am a big fan of deer, and get pissed when people are mad that a deer got infront of their car.... they were there a lot longer than our roads were...

Though, in theory, I do agree with what you say.... better to hit the deer than swerve and possibly kill yourself or God forbid, anyone else in the car with you, or even another vehicle.... but Its kinda hard to not swerve. Its human instinct. you need to have a brain that is developed for that situation to be able to go against the swerve instinct and think rationally about the situation... you usually have what? half a second......?

your recommendation is good in theory, and would be good if people were able to react with such a rational in a situation like that, but 99% of people with act out of instinct instead

instinct = swerve

--- Glad you are OK. a car is replaceble. Dont worry about it, just be grateful you and your g/f are safe.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
907 Posts
If you react by braking and you react quick enough all you end up with is a damaged car and a sore dear that will be skidish around roads.

Maybe the swerve instinct doesnt happen for me cause ive never swerved to avoid animals, ive breaked and have missed them many times!

Doing 60+ and drastically swerving is going to totaly upset the weight balance in the car and initally cause under steer, than most people counter act to keep on the road and that causes over steer...thats where the problem is this over steer causes people to slide off the road in a almost totaly uncontrolled manner!!

If you are going to swerve check to see if its okay to drive on the shoulder...by swerving then straightening out on the shoulder you greatly reduce the chances of having an accident when swerving.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I would only swerve if I was low speed, or plenty of room. I have avoided many by heavy braking. I hit one at 65-70 on the highway and did ~$6500 worth of damage.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
3 days ago, i kinda almost ran into a deer, but it was jsuta huge lady in a caravan......yesturday i was on the highway, doin 90, some kak slams her brakes on slam mine around 85, then i realized i cant really stop or ill hit her my car or my life? i freaking swerved to the shoudler lane, thats right i chose my car :p | | this close to dieing, i havent driven over 40 since thaty incident, i barley like to drive ;/, scared

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
I will swerve a little. I mostly just brake hard. Otherwise I will just hit the thing and at least get dinner out of it. Survival of the fittest. Me>deer

·
Registered
476 Posts
I lived on a stretch of road that, during the winter, I would see at least one new deer road kill a day. It was constant. I sometimes would count the deer and over my 20 mile drive one day, I stopped counting at 170 deer. Most of those were in the last 10 miles.

Then there was the time that I ended up in the middle of a herd of elk on a snow packed road. They were everywhere. In front, both sides, and behind. I started hitting them and they just kinda bounced off and kept running (I was only going about 20 or 25). I got out of my car and couldn't believe that there was no damage. Those things are like the size of a horse!

·
Registered
376 Posts
For those ppl that say hit the deer: Have you seen the damage a deer does when hit and it flies throught your windshield and end up in your lap? It's not a pretty sight. And like many say, human instinct is to swerve, but if you manage to hit the deer instead, or, in the millisecond you're trying to think and react, very difficult to do, and if in that millisecond you're also trying to dertermine what kind of animal it is, what if it's an elk or moose instead? You'll most likely die when you hit that moose.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I hav eonly seen one moose in the road around here on a mountain pass, and I was going farily slow, so it was more interesting than anything. I have heard of friends with deer coming through the windshield and seen photos, not something I would want to experience...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts