ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put on his tune earlier today and holy ****. It is extremely responsive and fast. Customer service was amazing, guy walked me through the entire process step by step. I was nervous about going the opensource route, because i had no knowledge about it but Erick helped me the entire way, step by step!!! Forget Cobb, Torqued Performance is where it's at!! Doing some data logging tomorrow!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Just put on his tune earlier today and holy ****. It is extremely responsive and fast. Customer service was amazing, guy walked me through the entire process step by step. I was nervous about going the opensource route, because i had no knowledge about it but Erick helped me the entire way, step by step!!! Forget Cobb, Torqued Performance is where it's at!! Doing some data logging tomorrow!
Yeah I went there last week, and it truly is an AWESOME tune, car is such a blast now, noooo comparison to stock or stage 1 :D and +1 Eric is an awesome and helpful guy

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nice! I just picked up my '12 WRX last Friday and I'll defiantly be looking into tuning and modifications once I clock some more miles and learn more about it. What all did you have done on yours? What does the Torqued Performance entail?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Nice! I just picked up my '12 WRX last Friday and I'll defiantly be looking into tuning and modifications once I clock some more miles and learn more about it. What all did you have done on yours? What does the Torqued Performance entail?
Eric charges $85 for each staged map, or you can get both stage 1 and 2 for $145. Basically he emails you a link to download his maps, once you load the map to your car you can datalog and send him the logs. He will then edit the map, if need be, and send you a revised map. This process repeats until you and he is satisfied that the car is running perfectly. You really can't get a better deal for the price and the fact that he does free revisions.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I too am running a TP Stage II. Glad you love yours as much as I love mine. It really is too much fun sometimes - Parking garage + Stage II + Invidia N1 = :thumbup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Oh gotcha! Ha yeah I'm completely new to it all. I have much to learn :eek3: What are the best routes to take for the first performance mods? I'll of course do all my homework before I do anything, I just want some opinions. :)

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Oh gotcha! Ha yeah I'm completely new to it all. I have much to learn :eek3: What are the best routes to take for the first performance mods? I'll of course do all my homework before I do anything, I just want some opinions. :)

Normally I would say you should start your own thread instead of hijacking someone else's thread.. but in this case there is already a thread created to answer your questions. I's stickied to the top of this section, and I believe it's titled "first mods". I would post a link if I were on my computer at home, but it's too much of a pain from here.

To accurately answer that question we would need to know what your ultimate goals are for the car, and what your total budget is to get there.

Personally, I think stage two is good for 95% of people. That's a downpipe and a tune. Best bang for your buck, and personally, I feel this is how the car should have come from the factory. Too bad Subaru has to comply with the strictest emissions laws.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Eric charges $85 for each staged map, or you can get both stage 1 and 2 for $145. Basically he emails you a link to download his maps, once you load the map to your car you can datalog and send him the logs. He will then edit the map, if need be, and send you a revised map. This process repeats until you and he is satisfied that the car is running perfectly. You really can't get a better deal for the price and the fact that he does free revisions.

i like Eric a lot.. nice guy. I've emailed back and forth with him a bit about his maps. The only thing i've ever wondered is how he revises the maps if he doesn't have a WB02 that is much more accurate to log the AFR. Not knocking the guy at all... i'm all for a good 85.00 tune myself vs. a 500-600 protune.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
i like Eric a lot.. nice guy. I've emailed back and forth with him a bit about his maps. The only thing i've ever wondered is how he revises the maps if he doesn't have a WB02 that is much more accurate to log the AFR. Not knocking the guy at all... i'm all for a good 85.00 tune myself vs. a 500-600 protune.

You can use the front O2 to tweak fueling to some extent.. plus there's lots of other areas to tweak that don't necessarily rely on AFR. I'm guessing he probably has a wideband on the car he used to create the base map, just like Cobb does. Tweaking it beyond that is just all the better, that much closer to a real tune, wideband or not. And if nothing else, he can see where there is knock and pull back timing. If you have a Cobb map from the AP and you're knocking you're pretty much SOL.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
Old school tuning didn't rely on afr.. well it did, but not in the way we seem to in the last 10 years or so. There are many other ways to tell if the car is in the sweet spot or not. I've found through my own tuning experience over the years that afr alone isn't always going to get you close to best reponse. There's a lot more that goes into tuning, afr is only a small portion. Tuning a combustion engine is just as much art as it is science.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Hey, you all don't have to convince me... the last thing I want to do is have to buy something else to get my car tuned... i'm all for not using a WB lol.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
Its a nice reference to have, makes troubleshooting problems easier when/if they arise and does give a somewhat instantaneous feel to what's going on in the engine. A wb o2 and boost gauge are something every modded turbo car should have. I just mention that its not a necessity for tuning. ;)

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
mangostick said:
Its a nice reference to have, makes troubleshooting problems easier when/if they arise and does give a somewhat instantaneous feel to what's going on in the engine. A wb o2 and boost gauge are something every modded turbo car should have. I just mention that its not a necessity for tuning. ;)
Just like a condom isn't necessary for a one-night stand...

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Aint they got a pill, like the plan B or something for these events

1 - 20 of 53 Posts