ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to buy a torque wrench and I have a couple of questions. Is 3/8 the normal size or 1/2? Also is one that goes up to 75 ft/lbs enough? I know the wheels are 72 ft/lbs. I plan on doing catback, downpipe, springs, and sway bars.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
They make both but 1/2 in seems to be much more prevalent. A lot of the 3/8 seem to be less torquer or in/lbs instead of ft/lbs.

I bought a 10-100ft/lb 3/8 one from amazon.com for a pretty good price. Most of my sockets are 3/8 so it was more useful for me.

·
Banned
195 Posts
invest in a clicker rather than the flex shaft type, the clicker is worlds better and more accurate.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any special place I need to get the clicking type? I was looking at Sears but I don't really know too much about them.

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
Any special place I need to get the clicking type? I was looking at Sears but I don't really know too much about them.
The sears I went to had the clicker type but the only one they had was a 3/8 in on that went to 250 in/lb. or 20 something ft/lb. :rolleyes: If you want a 1/2 kragen might have one if you want a 3/8 might need to order online.

At least that was my conclusion may be different in you area.

·
Banned
195 Posts
it appears that only the gorilla is a .5" drive. i don't know if there is an advantage to either 1/2 inch or 3/8. i went with the 1/2 when i purchased my clicker just because the bigger size made me feel that the wrench was beefier for whatever that's worth.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whats nice about it is that it has a 3/8 adapter so you get to benefit from both.

·
Banned
195 Posts
true, with that said you can spend $1.99 and get a 1/2 to 3/8 or 3/8 to 1/2 adapter no matter what wrench you decide on. considering that, i would make a decision based on price point if there are no apparent advantages or disadvantages to any of the wrenches.

·
Banned
195 Posts
good luck and happy torquing! ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts