ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
My 02 auto WRX sedan has a torque problem. The problem is that it doesn't have any.
I would like suggestions as to which engine performance kit to choose to fix this problem. And, in addition to engine mods, do I need to have my torque converter changed or reworked?
While I am all for lots of horsepower (that's why my other car is a '95 Vette), the WRX needs LOTS more bottom end. Pulling away from a stop light is so slow its scary. My general parameters are that the exhaust note be relatively quiet, the car stay reliable, and that I get no CELs.
Thanks for your advice...

ktmhk53

·
Registered
460 Posts
I came from a 01' Lightning, tuned to 525HP, 607TQ. This car can't pull a greasy string out of a cat's butt at any RPM's lower than 2.5K. :mad:

It really needs a V-TEC or VANOS varible valve technology for the bottom end. And a redesigned 2.5 would be alot better then the 2.0, a hamster wheel with 4 vienna sausage can sized pistons. Everybody says the 2.0 is to rally car spec. To hell with the rally car rules, this is an american consumer market. The only saving grace for torque is the boxer layout; you'll hear everyone here rattle off that this car has more torque per liter than any other in its class. So what, not enough for me. :p

·
Premium Member
13,353 Posts
ktmhk53 said:
Greetings,
My 02 auto WRX sedan has a torque problem. The problem is that it doesn't have any.
I would like suggestions as to which engine performance kit to choose to fix this problem. And, in addition to engine mods, do I need to have my torque converter changed or reworked?
While I am all for lots of horsepower (that's why my other car is a '95 Vette), the WRX needs LOTS more bottom end. Pulling away from a stop light is so slow its scary. My general parameters are that the exhaust note be relatively quiet, the car stay reliable, and that I get no CELs.
Thanks for your advice...

ktmhk53
An upgraded TC will definitely fix the big problem, but an uppipe/downpipe combo will get rid of some of that turbo lag and you'll feel the torque :) I just have an uppipe/catback right now and it's sluggish for like 1 second and then it takes off. Also, if you're not doing any brake torquing (which you probably shouldn't do all the time anyway), make sure you don't just floor it from a stop...push the pedal down about 1/4 of the way or less to get it up to about 3k on the rpms, then push it to the floor. You'll get better acceleration that way, trust me :)

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
first off, you're in an auto, so you never get to realize the higher rpm tourque on this car in the lower gears b/c it switches gears too early.

so the torque problem you see isn't THE car, it's YOUR car. 217 pounds of tourque isn't small by any math.

get a torque converter to remedy the situation. otherwise brinigng boost on earlier (uppipe, mbc) will also allow you to the the real power much earlier.

dR

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
I came from a 01' Lightning, tuned to 525HP, 607TQ. This car can't pull a greasy string out of a cat's butt at any RPM's lower than 2.5K.
ROTFL! :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
13,353 Posts
dark_rex said:
first off, you're in an auto, so you never get to realize the higher rpm tourque on this car in the lower gears b/c it switches gears too early.

so the torque problem you see isn't THE car, it's YOUR car. 217 pounds of tourque isn't small by any math.

get a torque converter to remedy the situation. otherwise brinigng boost on earlier (uppipe, mbc) will also allow you to the the real power much earlier.

dR
My car shifts right at redline...sure it won't go past it but I don't think mine shifts early :D

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm just wondering why someone would buy the car if they really didn't like the characteristics or driveability of it? Just a question... but if I described my car as unable to extract a lubricated stretch of twine from the anus of a feline... it might insinuate that I am unhappy with it :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
I bought the WRX because:

1. It is Japanese, and I believe that any race of people that can make cool anime, tasty food and sushi, great beer, and have chicks with cat's ears, tails and blue hair can make kick ass cars. Mine transforms into a robot that has a penchant to step on rednecks and wiggers; a personality glitch that has to be worked out.

2. American cars suck.

3. You can go off road and laugh at the $50,000 SUV's that can't even jump a curb without breaking an axle.

4. It's stealthy.

What pisses me off about the WRX's motor is that it is so damn inconsistant in it's nature. Each takeoff or downshift is almost 'potluck performance'. However I have owned a Mitsubishi Starion which behaved similar, so turbo cars must have alot of idiosyncrasies inherit to heat, blah, blah blah.

·
Premium Member
13,353 Posts
dark_rex said:

don't you have a TC?

dR
Nope, haven't upgraded mine yet...I'm still running the stock one :)

I think it all depends on how you drive it...if I go WOT, it will shift at redline 100% of the time. Anything between no gas at all and WOT, it varies, depending upon how much throttle you use. More throttle usually = shifting closer to redline for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Greetings,
At bottom (no pun intended), Master of Pain has captured the essence of my disappointment when he stated,

"What pisses me off about the WRX's motor is that it is so damn inconsistant in it's nature. Each takeoff or downshift is almost 'potluck performance'."

What can I do, by either mechanical or driver modification, to obtain consistent acceleration from stops. Just yesterday I again started across an intersection only to then realize I needed to get through more quickly. Instinctively I pushed down on the accelerator. The car seemed to slow, though not really hesitate. Pushing the pedal down to the floor at that point barely got me across the intersection in time. It was only then, having evaded a close call, that the RPMs built to the stage necessary for the boost to come on. The car then took off far faster than I need it to.

What say you all to this problem?

ktmhk53

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
Master Of Pain said:
I bought the WRX because:

1. It is Japanese, and I believe that any race of people that can make cool anime, tasty food and sushi, great beer, and have chicks with cat's ears, tails and blue hair can make kick ass cars. Mine transforms into a robot that has a penchant to step on rednecks and wiggers; a personality glitch that has to be worked out.

2. American cars suck.

3. You can go off road and laugh at the $50,000 SUV's that can't even jump a curb without breaking an axle.

4. It's stealthy.

What pisses me off about the WRX's motor is that it is so damn inconsistant in it's nature. Each takeoff or downshift is almost 'potluck performance'. However I have owned a Mitsubishi Starion which behaved similar, so turbo cars must have alot of idiosyncrasies inherit to heat, blah, blah blah.
1)sushi is not made man it's raw fish u catch it and eat it...bottom line so haha to you

2) american cars don't suck dude! american cars are nasty..u tell me 1 import that will still be recognized and still lead sales 35 years or more from now..like the mustang has....for an example...

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
ktmhk53 said:
Greetings,
At bottom (no pun intended), Master of Pain has captured the essence of my disappointment when he stated,

"What pisses me off about the WRX's motor is that it is so damn inconsistant in it's nature. Each takeoff or downshift is almost 'potluck performance'."

What can I do, by either mechanical or driver modification, to obtain consistent acceleration from stops. Just yesterday I again started across an intersection only to then realize I needed to get through more quickly. Instinctively I pushed down on the accelerator. The car seemed to slow, though not really hesitate. Pushing the pedal down to the floor at that point barely got me across the intersection in time. It was only then, having evaded a close call, that the RPMs built to the stage necessary for the boost to come on. The car then took off far faster than I need it to.

What say you all to this problem?

ktmhk53
i've got two things to say in particular about this situation.

1) this seems like something you should have noticed when test driving the car. it's not like it's a total surprise three weeks into ownership that there is turbo lag and the first 2900 rpms are not under boost. the second you leave the lot, you should have felt this. you are experiencing turbo lag, and it's present on ANY car with a turbo. the wrx's turbo is relatively small physically and output wise, enabling a VERY SMALL turbo lag relative to the other compressors on the market. imagine driving a big single turbo supra!!! you don't get boost till 6500 rpms!!! we have stated a number of things you can modify to try and alleviate your unhappiness with the car, but who buys a car anticipating they will be able to "fix" the things they don't like about it? ( aside from maybe a stereo, or a couple of cosmetic things) :confused:

2) i have never had this problem at an intersection. i drove the car at the dealership, felt there was immense stock power on the car, and adapted my driving style and shifting technique (minimally i might add) to compiiment the car's characteristics. bone stock, this car is very consistant for me. i can blast off the line, or comfortabley, roll off. i can downshift and be in boost at almost any circumstance.

personally, i don't think it makes sense to buy an automatic sports car. some people have no choice due to family circumstances etc. but the fact of the matter is, it's harder to really maximize this power in an automatic. it's the same with ANY car.

i think you bought the wrong car. <shrug>

dR

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
SpeedRacerWRX02 said:

1)sushi is not made man it's raw fish u catch it and eat it...bottom line so haha to you

2) american cars don't suck dude! american cars are nasty..u tell me 1 import that will still be recognized and still lead sales 35 years or more from now..like the mustang has....for an example...
sushi is japanese art made of food. it IS man made. it's just made with raw fish (and not all sushi is raw either , like unagi). you are thinking of only one type of sushi, called nigiri. strips of raw fish over rice called sashimi. maki is rolled ingredients in rice sometimes with salmon skin or often with seaweed. it requires a specially trained sushi chef to make (often years of training) and is served as a lot more than "raw fish, you catch it and eat it" it's usually presented with tons of colors and beautifully arranged on a wooden boat, dish, or ceramics of some sort.

no import will ever match the legacy of the corvette or the mustang. they have been in production for half a century!! that's a pretty popular model, wouldn't you say?

and american trucks are some of the best in the world!

dR

·
Registered
624 Posts
I think you are having the same problems as I had when I first bought the car. Having driven normally aspirated cars my whole life I was not familiar with the characteristics of a turbo-charged car. You've got to keep the revs up on the WRX to stay in the powerband, this is something that took me awhile to understand. If you keep up your revs the car will drive like a rocket. This is probably something that's easier for us manual transmission people but I'm sure there are techniques out there for auto as well.

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
dark_rex said:

sushi is japanese art made of food. it IS man made. it's just made with raw fish (and not all sushi is raw either , like unagi). you are thinking of only one type of sushi, called nigiri. strips of raw fish over rice called sashimi. maki is rolled ingredients in rice sometimes with salmon skin or often with seaweed. it requires a specially trained sushi chef to make (often years of training) and is served as a lot more than "raw fish, you catch it and eat it" it's usually presented with tons of colors and beautifully arranged on a wooden boat, dish, or ceramics of some sort.

no import will ever match the legacy of the corvette or the mustang. they have been in production for half a century!! that's a pretty popular model, wouldn't you say?

and american trucks are some of the best in the world!

dR
i agree with ur domestic comment but man u have way to much time on your hands to tell me all about sushi and what not hahahaha damn!

·
Registered
460 Posts
When I said that american cars suck, I am talking about build quality, fit and finish, and attention to detail. Toyota/Lexus is an extremist at this, the Subaru's, Nissan's and Honda's I have been in are all good, but look at the offerings from Chevy, Ford and Dodge... Yuck. Trim falls off, plastic cracks, dash alignment problems, etc. I just think that the attitude and pride in product isn't as prevalent in the American products. Not to mention innovation. American motors are falling way behind in technolgy and output to the Japanese and European mfg. Honda can make a 2.2L N/A motor and get a 200 HP rating while a Chevy can barely get it out of a 4.3L 6 - Cyl. Pathetic.

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
Master Of Pain said:
When I said that american cars suck, I am talking about build quality, fit and finish, and attention to detail. Toyota/Lexus is an extremist at this, the Subaru's, Nissan's and Honda's I have been in are all good, but look at the offerings from Chevy, Ford and Dodge... Yuck. Trim falls off, plastic cracks, dash alignment problems, etc. I just think that the attitude and pride in product isn't as prevalent in the American products. Not to mention innovation. American motors are falling way behind in technolgy and output to the Japanese and European mfg. Honda can make a 2.2L N/A motor and get a 200 HP rating while a Chevy can barely get it out of a 4.3L 6 - Cyl. Pathetic.
again tell me when a honad makes it 35 years still in perfect condition with no problems and all original like my mustang i have...umm why didn't u use an 8cyl example...a 5.4L stang making around 400hp...hmmm sounds good to me....cars are only as good as you treat them man....remember that...

·
Premium Member
13,353 Posts
Flyboy said:
I think you are having the same problems as I had when I first bought the car. Having driven normally aspirated cars my whole life I was not familiar with the characteristics of a turbo-charged car. You've got to keep the revs up on the WRX to stay in the powerband, this is something that took me awhile to understand. If you keep up your revs the car will drive like a rocket. This is probably something that's easier for us manual transmission people but I'm sure there are techniques out there for auto as well.
Yes there are...the ECU just has to learn your driving style. Also, downshifting to 3 instead of keeping it in D all the time can really increase your throttle response. You can even shift it down to 2 (although I usually don't) if you need to power around a turn. If you get an uppipe, boost controller, and maybe even a short ram intake, you'll get plenty of throttle response and torque to go around. Of course, an upgraded torque converter will do the trick as well, but it's more expensive than the above combined. Trust me, I know! :D

·
Registered
460 Posts
SpeedRacerWRX02 said:

again tell me when a honad makes it 35 years still in perfect condition with no problems and all original like my mustang i have...umm why didn't u use an 8cyl example...a 5.4L stang making around 400hp...hmmm sounds good to me....cars are only as good as you treat them man....remember that...
I'm not attacking ALL American cars, it's just a generalization. See my sig- I formerly owned a slice some of the American Muscle pie, and I will go back to it after my insurance company chills out a little bit, and SVT goes into the 3rd generation of the Lighning.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts