Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard much about aftermarket torque converters for a WRX? Anyone installed one on their car? I was wondering about how much they help performance.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Your best bet would be to check into companies like Quaife. Performance wise, the gain so to speak is relative. High stall torque converters(I suppose you have an automatic) will allow you to launch at higher rpms for drag purposes. While my experience with automatic cars is limited, many of the times these are installed, throttle response is weakened(ie mid corner modulation, etc).

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Well traditionally the term 'torque converter' relates to the an auto...in contrast to a manual having a clutch where engagement is by your foot action. Unless you misused the terms and intended to talk about differentials?

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Oops - I moved this before I read the whole thread. Mods might want to move it back to powertrain if it turns out thhis guy wants to talk about a manual 'box.

Chris

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I was wondering about a manual tranny in relation to it. On Horsepower TV they were talking about one today, but I think they were going to put it on a manual transmission barracuda. Couldn't you have the torque converter in addition to the clutch? Not sure.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Th3Franz said:
Yeah I was wondering about a manual tranny in relation to it. On Horsepower TV they were talking about one today, but I think they were going to put it on a manual transmission barracuda. Couldn't you have the torque converter in addition to the clutch? Not sure.
No. Torque convertor is a piece in the auto tranny. I believe it's the propellor-like thingy that the slush drives.

C

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
The Torque Converter :)

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter.htm

What most people with automatic WRXs do is they get their stock one "upgraded" so the stall speed is higher. This allows the revs to go up higher when in motion, and of course helps launch off the line more like a manual transmission. Most people recommend it as their first mod, but there have been others don't see much difference.

I'm personally waiting on it, simply because it isn't something I need for daily driving. When I get more into drag racing or autocrossing, I'll probably put more serious thought into it, but for just driving the twisties every now and then, I've got no problem keeping up with the manual guys with my current level of mods.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so it is just for an automatic then. Thanks for the help, guys. Just curious but how good is the automatic transmission on the WRX? I don't have a WRX yet and I'll probably go manual regardless.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
All things considered, it's not too bad. It's hard to make as fast as a manual, but the tranny itself is pretty strong and supposedly can hold more power than the manual tranny. The problem though is that the center differential is a little fragile when it comes to launches, so a few people have totally busted them due to all the torque.

The nice thing about it is that its a gated shifter, so it's easy to manually shift if you really want to. Just make sure you're using synthetic ATF so that the tranny temps don't get too high.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Verdugo said:
It's hard to make as fast as a manual.
Just change the Valve Body.Levelten is doing mine and I will have that one installed in my car soon.It will make manual guys jealous. :D :D
With my TC upgrade I can launche around 4500 RPM.
Mods:

TC cooler with 9 inch fan.
Protorque TC Upgrade
Ultimate racing stage 1, 2 and 3
Big Top intercooler
50 shot NOS
600 CC injectors

My latest Timeslip

[email protected] 4EAT WRX

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Saposat said:
Just change the Valve Body.Levelten is doing mine and I will have that one installed in my car soon.It will make manual guys jealous. :D :D
Indeed...the only problem is how much that costs. I saw Jorge selling his Valve Body mod for $450, and he said he paid a lot more for it initially. I guess I should say it isn't hard to make it as fast as a manual...just a lot more expensive :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Verdugo

I thing that Levelten charges around 650.00 to do the job, the 450.00 I will get it back once I get mine out and I sell to someone else.

Later

Rui

Saposat

·
Registered
85 Posts
I havent heard anything on the Valve body mod...any links? Also how much will the Torque Converter, cooler run?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cincy-Rex said:
I havent heard anything on the Valve body mod...any links? Also how much will the Torque Converter, cooler run?
Email me or PM me if you are interested on my torque converter, I can have it shiped dow to Protorque so they can do the upgrade for you.I think that Joe charges around $525.00 to do that upgrade.

Here is some talk about VB stuff.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=358246&highlight=valve+body

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=360085&highlight=valve+body

Rui

Saposat

1 - 15 of 15 Posts