Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 WRX which I think has a problem. I drive on a winding mountain road every day. When I accelerate through a tight turn the entire car shudders or hops sideways. It has always done this since I bought it new. Is this normal? BTW - I'm not referring to the clunking that occurs when I have the steering wheel full lock while maneuvering in my driveway.

If this is not normal what are the most likely causes? Center differential torque bind? Bad juju?
Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Something is wrong. Could be front middle or read diff

·
Æternum
15,860 Posts
This doesn't sound normal, though I will say that when the fluids are very cold, I get a slight amount of bind when turning at low speed and high steering lock.

Is there a possibility that you are feeling the Active Torque Vectoring? Try disabling that ATV (hold TCS button until light illuminates the dash) and see if you still experience the issue.

·
Æternum
15,860 Posts
I thought there was no middle (center) diff on the 15+ wrx? I thought only the sti had one
It's continuous AWD. How would you expect it to operate without a differential?

EDIT: I feel bad for making a joke at the OP's expense, but I guess the answer would be "sorta like OP's car!" :wiggles:

·
Registered
359 Posts
It's continuous AWD. How would you expect it to operate without a differential?

EDIT: I feel bad for making a joke at the OP's expense, but I guess the answer would be "sorta like OP's car!" :wiggles:
I know there's a front and rear differential and I've changed the oil in them a few times already. I just wasn't sure what a "middle" differential referred to.

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
I know there's a front and rear differential and I've changed the oil in them a few times already. I just wasn't sure what a "middle" differential referred to.
Isn't the front diff lubricated by the transmission fluid and not a separate entity?

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
correct, I used motul gear 300 non LS
So you've changed the gearbox oil and the rear diff.

Op. Have you tried the traction control suggestion yet. I hadn't considered that being a possibility.

·
Æternum
15,860 Posts
Isn't the front diff lubricated by the transmission fluid and not a separate entity?
Yes, as is the center diff.

It's a mechanically simple setup and despite all the shortcomings of Subaru's "symmetrical AWD," at the very least it's simple and robust.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts