Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed my TorkLift 2" receiver and 1Up single bike rack earlier this week. Hitch is completely hidden without the rack in place & holds the rack rock steady with bike on the rack. My two main concerns were factory appearance of the rack and the bike handlebars clearing the wing. Both achieved with this system. Highly recommend this option -vs- roof or trunk mounted rack.
IMG_0211.jpg

·
Registered
129 Posts
think you could post some pics of what the hitch looks like installed without a rack in it? IE how it would be for daily driving when you aren't lugging around the bike?

also any idea about how much this weights?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
think you could post some pics of what the hitch looks like installed without a rack in it? IE how it would be for daily driving when you aren't lugging around the bike?

also any idea about how much this weights?
I'll be happy to as soon as I have some time off. With the knockout panel in place, you can't tell the hitch is there. I would say it weighs about 22lbs give or take a couple lbs.

·
Registered
129 Posts
sounds good. So you can keep the knockout panel in place while the hitch is installed? i assumed it would take place of the panel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sounds good. So you can keep the knockout panel in place while the hitch is installed? i assumed it would take place of the panel.
yes, with the hitch installed the knockout panel hides the hitch receiver completely. The small knockout panel is all that must be removed to attach the bike rack. I purchased the "hitch cloak" from TorkLift along with the hitch. It's basically the same knockout panel with a magnetic attachment that attaches it to the receiver. It takes literally 2 seconds to remove or replace if you don't have a rack installed. It was kinda spendy, but looks exactly like the OEM panel and is waaaay easier to remove or replace without having to snake your hand behind the bumper cover.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are a couple pics with the forklift "hitch cloak" replacement panel installed for the factory knockout panel. The black eye ring is there so you can pull it with your finger without having to reach behind the bumper. It literally takes about 30 seconds to remove the 1Up bike rack and reinstall the panel, or vice versa. The hitch cloak is secured with a magnet with about 15lbs of force - so its not going anywhere unless you get hit in the rear.
[URL=http://s983.photobucket.com/user/tim1079/media/IMG_2891_zpsmok7937w.jpg.html][/URL]
[URL=http://s983.photobucket.com/user/tim1079/media/IMG_2890_zpspo3uwbtx.jpg.html][/URL]
[URL=http://s983.photobucket.com/user/tim1079/media/IMG_2892_zpstmoouzxy.jpg.html][/URL]

·
Registered
129 Posts
huh that is a pretty neat alternative, i like that it still looks pretty much 100% OEM. did you install it yourself? or have it professionally installed?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Installed it myself in the garage. Took me the better part of an afternoon with hand tools, a pair of ramps and a floor jack to lift the hitch into place. With another pair of hands and no interruptions, I think I could do it in about 2 hrs.
TorkLift receiver hitches are more expensive than Curt, Hitch Rite or cheaper mass produced ones - but for modern vehicles with tight underbody clearances, they are well worth my money. Well engineered and they fit like they're supposed to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts