Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my sti has been pinging since 1500miles...i got it to shut up with a mix of 91 and 100octane for a 95mix...but recently i went back to 91 and the engine pings worst than ever...
so i ordered Torco Mach-1 Unleaded Race fuel concentrate from need4speedpower
i was a bit skeptical about this product at first...adding just 32oz to 10gal of 91octane would net close to 100oct?
but wow, to my surprise this product works like a dream...
my car doesn't ping one bit now...it is like i'm back on 95octane.
i've tried NOS octane boosters, none work for me.
toluene seems to be good, but i hate mixing chems in my garage.

so for those of you with detonating cars, i would say give this a whirl.

but first one should consider detrimental effects on the car...
i don't know of any side effects as of yet...
i was told the product contain mmt, mtbe, and maybe toluene from what i read. It contains no alcohol. That's all i know of it =/
there is no listed ingredients on the can.

the product goes for 13.50 a piece and $2 for shipping i think.
i think this is a great alternative for higher octane.
at least now i don't have to pour 5gallons of 100octane from a container.

i just need to find out more about this product before using it weekly. so those are my results. If anyone has more information on with this product, please let me know. i am really interested in its long term usage effects.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
links to product?

most octane boosters are snake oil, only adding a few percentage points to the octane rating (which is why you've had some bad luck)

this sounds like a great option for you CA guys that get stuck with crap gas.

too bad there's not more 94 up here in the Northeast. :(

dR

·
1,911 Posts
I agree that most octane boosters are not very good but I was impressed with the Torco. I tried it once on the dyno mixed with unleaded race fuel and got some great results. Definately what you need to take with you on a trip if you're not sure they will have 93 octane where you are going.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my det didn't used to be so bad....
it was like *plic plic* on 91 at first....but after i went to 95 and back to 91, it goes like *PLIC PLIC PLIC x 10* I gave it 200miles to learn, but it didn't.
i don't wanna reflash cuz i think power will be affected...

if i can get the engine to stop pinging then the engine is okay, right???....right?...

·
Registered
223 Posts
the ping reflash is free and if you read the sticky on the 2.5 forum on Nabisco nobody notices any power loss at all, as a matter of fact a couple people say it feels better, regardless though detontation is a much more serious issue than most people seem to think, and its said only half the detonation that happens is audible so dont think that as long as you dont hear it from inside your car that your safe:(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nooooooooooooooo!!!! :(
darn i need to get a reflash quick...
thanks for the info invisiguard

·
Registered
111 Posts
jtjt08 said:

i was a bit skeptical about this product at first...adding just 32oz to 10gal of 91octane would net close to 100oct?
?? Close to... it says 5 gallons of premium + torco = 107, 10 gallons + torco = 104, and 20 gallons of premium + torco = 97... you could fill your whole tank and put that in and still be at a 101.5 octane or so... ***sorry just read you ahve 91... should still be over 100 with 10 gallons of fuel i'd think.?

Robert~

·
Registered
211 Posts
God .. you tried it mixed with race fuel, and you still saw something positive out of it?

That's pretty incredible... I don't think anyone I know of had tested that out yet.

It certainly way surpasses anything called an "octane booster" that you can buy from the store.

If it's any consolation to anyone, I've been running it every single day in my 04 STi , now with over 11,000 miles, and I have no ill effects ......

(I've been running or more concentrated mix to ... 32oz to each 10 gallons)

The shipping is about $8 ... because it can only be shipped UPS ground (it is flammable, USPS won't take it) But, on the other hand, if you order a 6-pk, it is a lot cheaper.....

http://www.need4speedpower.com/torco.html

·
Registered
211 Posts
UPDATE!

Here are some dyno runs from various vehicules ...

An NA Integra Type R - gained 5.9 WHP and 3.3 lbs of torque, after consistantly turning out the same #'s

Or .. how about a stage 4 WRX ... gaining 12.6 WHP and about 10 lbs of torque??????

Then, the 8oz added Torco run ... much to the tuner's surprise....

And .. their pricing dropped!

http://www.need4speedpower.com/torco.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Kenneth2000 said:
Just fyi, on imprezawrxsti.com they are having a group buy on the torco ... it is down to $61 per case ...
Not a bad deal at all, especially considering it's in the easy to tote 32oz cans. That would have been $11.92 a can (considering the $10.50 UPS fee). I buy direct from Torco on the 5 gallon pail, and it works out to $9.60 per 32oz ($191.90 / 20). In comparison, if you buy it direct by a single can you pay $23.90, or $17.48 if you buy it by the case. The 5 gallon pail is the way to go, IMHO (all previous prices were quoted with shipping included).

For those who are skeptical about Torco, I can assure you that it works as advertised. I would not trust using it in my 800+ rwhp Cobra if it didn't.

Kind Regards,

James - RWTD, Mobile, AL
9-second 2003 Cobra

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
TORCO DOESNT ADD HP!!!!

it alows you to run more boost and lessen chance of knock!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts