Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I experienced a fuel cut @ 155MPH on the dial. The STi was still pulling like a german car on the autobahn up on top. Schweet. The new aerodynamics + engine of the gods +ricer wing combo is the ticket. :cool:

·
Registered
432 Posts
What's the drag coefficient of the STI? I bet its close to the WRX. Not mine though, roofracks dont help. But, I pulled hard on a modded V8 stingray to 120 mph with surfboard today. :D

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
155mph is impressive. They must've had to do that for insurance purposes. Somebody needs to defeat this ASAP. I want to see what an STi will do flat out!!! :D

-Jim

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Where were you in the RPM range?

·
Registered
115 Posts
ummm....

not to call BS, but the speed of the STi is supposed to be electronically limited to 147. i suppose speedometer error could be counted into this, but it usually errs on the shorter side, i.e. "i was going 155, but due to a normal speedo error of 10-15% at that speed, i was probably only doing 135-140." *shrug* just struck me as funny.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Re: ummm....

Lightning said:
not to call BS, but the speed of the STi is supposed to be electronically limited to 147. i suppose speedometer error could be counted into this, but it usually errs on the shorter side, i.e. "i was going 155, but due to a normal speedo error of 10-15% at that speed, i was probably only doing 135-140." *shrug* just struck me as funny.
Wrong. The maximum speed of the STi is electronically limited to 155mph. PERIOD.

-Jim

·
Registered
648 Posts
That's amazing...so why did they tell us the limiter is at 147?

RN

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Shard said:
Where were you in the RPM range?
I think it was in the mid 5K range. Hardy Toll Road is the best place to run it wide open in Houston, I swear.

I had a friend in a 97' BMW 850 running with me, he was like " :eek: " (couldn't believe that the car was still pulling decently past 140!!!) and he verified 155, cause his car cuts out at the same speed too. My speedo is accurate.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Master Of Pain said:
I think it was in the mid 5K range. Hardy Toll Road is the best place to run it wide open in Houston, I swear.

I had a friend in a 97' BMW 850 running with me, he was like " :eek: " (couldn't believe that the car was still pulling decently past 140!!!) and he verified 155, cause his car cuts out at the same speed too. My speedo is accurate.
So all accounts we see of the limiter being at 147 weren't right at all?

RN

·
Registered
115 Posts
Re: Re: ummm....

PlatinumWRX said:
Wrong. The maximum speed of the STi is electronically limited to 155mph. PERIOD.

-Jim
whoa, nice tone there. i guess all the magazines are wrong. i guess you know something that the rest of us don't, but since you chose not to back up your statement, we don't know what that is. do you have a "PERIOD" statement regarding speedometer error, too?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The BMW 850 is limited electronicly @ 155, and his (my partner in crime) speedo is digital and accurate to the MPH when the cut hits. I saw mine right at the 155 mark when I encountered the fuel cuts, so I can infer if both the BMW and I were hitting the fuel cuts at the same reflected speed, and we were dead even on the highway, nose to nose, the STi's speed limiter must be at 155MPH, and the speedo calibration fairly accurate.

Sheez Lightning, come see me in Houston, I'll give you the hell ride and you can see for yourself. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Master Of Pain said:
Sheez Lightning, come see me in Houston, I'll give you the hell ride and you can see for yourself. :rolleyes:
Can i come? I'm closer :D

Hardy toll road, wheres that exactly?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Re: Re: Re: ummm....

Lightning said:
whoa, nice tone there. i guess all the magazines are wrong. i guess you know something that the rest of us don't, but since you chose not to back up your statement, we don't know what that is. do you have a "PERIOD" statement regarding speedometer error, too?
I guess "all the magazines" ARE wrong.

Subarus have very accurate speedometers. PERIOD.

Happy now?

-Jim

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: ummm....

PlatinumWRX said:

Happy now?

-Jim
Jeez, thats a bit rude sounding. I don't disagree, but i think you could be a bit more gentlemanly.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ummm....

Shard said:
Jeez, thats a bit rude sounding. I don't disagree, but i think you could be a bit more gentlemanly.
Opposite my usual trend, I am being rude in this thread.
I found Lightning's original post to be completely without base. How can you proclaim "a normal speedo error of 10-15% at that speed"? That would mean that the speedometer (a calibrated measurement device) is off by as much as 22mph when displaying 155mph. That is preposterous. That would mean it would display 100mph when I was only going 88mph. Come on.

Besides, why does Lightning have any reason to doubt MoP's top speed claim? I just don't get it.

-Jim

·
Registered
24 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: ummm....

PlatinumWRX said:

i'm finding it quite the opposite.

while i haven gone triple digits, when my speedo reads 65, my GPS reads around 61.5. same thing around 70, and 75.

i am finding that the odometer is just about dead on.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
JRod said:
What's the drag coefficient of the STI? I bet its close to the WRX. Not mine though, roofracks dont help. But, I pulled hard on a modded V8 stingray to 120 mph with surfboard today. :D
The stis drac coefficient is .33 . That is probably similar to 04 wrxs but it is a significant improvement over the bug eyed models.

Also wagons do not have a worse drag coefficient then sedans, wagons bye desing are more aerodynamic but the roof racks add drag so the drag between a sedan and a wagon are just about the same. If it wasnt for the roof racks the wagon would be better.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts