Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
obviously front mount provides more cool air flow to the IC but with the positioning of the stock turbo it makes for about 5ft of charge piping which i would think would make for some pretty serious lag

now a good top mount with a larger scoop to get more air in i would think would ultimately be better due to the fact that there is very little distance between the compressor and the throttle body

id like to hear some different opinions from people who have experience with both before i go and spend $1k+ on either one

also what about rigging up a Vortech after cooler?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently read an article from a HKG megazine, they did a temp comparison on a legacy, between the tiny orignal TMIC and a Jap FMIC, temp was taken right before the TB, the data were collected at urban driving, highway and WOT. Not much diff on urban driving , about 10°C on highway and WOT. Don't forget, with FMIC you add a few degree in your radiator, extra cost with frontal impact, and lag. One thing I agree, FMIC do looks awesome.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
As I understand it there is noticiable lag with the FMIC, but for racing applications it cools more efficiently..

·
Registered
136 Posts
Smarter people than I can certainly give you smarter answers than I can give, but...as I see it, there are 2 main issues with any intercooler; flow and heat. How and where you drive the car will have a lot to do with which is a better choice. A front mount will certainly do a better job of cooling the charge, just by virtue of where it is placed. Depending on how your car is modded, and how you drive it, and the temperatures in which you drive it, a top mount may be sufficient to cool the charge. A good top mount should flow about as well as a front mount. As I see it, if I still lived in Texas, with the heat there, I would almost certainly buy a front mount. Here in Colorado, where the heat is not such an issue, but the altitude greatly exagerating lag, a top mount with the shorter tubing starts looking real good. I guess in short what I mean to say is there is not a simple answer for this one; it's like the "what's the best turbo?" question; you do your research, you do some thinking, you pays your money and you makes your choice. Good luck.
-Ray

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i live in NH where it gets down in the teens sometime in the winter which would be real sweet to have a FMIC getting blasted with near zero degree air

the altitude is not an issue here but the summers can be have some very humid days

i know an upgraded top mount would be a whole lot easier to install and easier to correct and fix any problems that could pop up later on down the road but i probably dont even need to upgrade the IC until i get a larger turbo

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
JeremyL said:
well i live in NH where it gets down in the teens sometime in the winter which would be real sweet to have a FMIC getting blasted with near zero degree air

the altitude is not an issue here but the summers can be have some very humid days

i know an upgraded top mount would be a whole lot easier to install and easier to correct and fix any problems that could pop up later on down the road but i probably dont even need to upgrade the IC until i get a larger turbo
Acctually, the WRC car blew a motor in a snow event becasue the front mount got a large pile of snow shoved in/on it. It all about the airflow.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i wont be doing any rallying with my car or driving thru large snowdrifts

so packing snow on top of my stock TMIC would be a bad idea?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts